Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Big Fat Face

Bailey normally has a pretty big ego, in my opinion.


She's darn good looking, after all
However, she's not supposed to have an actual FAT face. Not normal at all, yet that's what greeted me at turn in time on Monday, approximately 1.5 hours after I had decided to skip the barn and hang out with my husband instead.



I, of course, hopped right in the car to drive up to investigate. I arrived, got about 6 or 8 benadryl into her swollen little face and took her out to do some cold hosing:


So yeah, Her face was really, really swollen. It almost looked like her cheek was swollen into her mouth, but I couldn't really get her to open her mouth to confirm. The cold hosing didn't seem to help, and the benadryl didn't have a magical instantaneous effect, so I set up some days of pills for her and once I had confirmed she was able to eat and drink (and breathe) I headed home. Not much you can do, I guess.

Barn friend J checked on her last night, and while she looked swollen, it looked like it had maybe gone down. I get to check on her tonight, and hopefully will fit a ride in on Foxie before I have to leave to meet up with someone who is buying a saddle from me. 

Our last ride before the great fat face escapade of 2016 (as I'm calling it) was pretty sub-par. We jumped around at sub-2'11 and it just wasn't... special. I'm a bit disappointed I don't have media, because I had a camera person there... but also I don't know if I want to see us sucking. The ride itself wasn't hard, but it wasn't easy, either. She wasn't in my hand, and I had the feeling that we were moving very slowly while also not feeling in control of the idiot's feet. Foxie was lunging like a beast with the husband while I jumped, and it just.. wasn't amazing. I think we're going to do dressage again until I feel like jumping - we aren't competing, so I don't NEED to jump her. And I've been enjoying our dressage rides. Once we get the face deflated, we will work on getting the B back in good muscle and, hopefully, hear from the saddle fitter about an appointment. 

Cross your fingers for a deflated face so B and I can get back to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment