Wednesday, August 16, 2017

In A Rut

Since Arya's issues, now two weeks ago, I've been in a bit of a rut. The first week, we were busy busy busy all week and it took me until the weekend to really realize I hadn't ridden, and Arya hadn't been ground worked nearly as much as I had hoped.

Part of the reason I have no time to work my horses.

I changed that on Saturday; I dragged the ring and hopped on Bailey for a jump school. While it wasn't bad... things weren't together like they were the week before. In part, I am sure, because we're both out of shape, but it just seemed like a thousand things weren't right. She wasn't being good in the waterford. My stirrups were too long, and then my half chaps were just totally failing me, as my leathers felt like they were gnawing on my calves. I found one of my velcro back blocks in the sand when I was dragging, and I struggled my whole ride, knocking both of them loose again (though still hanging on by a few bits of velcro). Bailey herself was good; she knocked a rail or two, but I also had put full boots on her instead of leaving her bare, which always makes her less careful. She was hard to rate, and a bit rushy; the waterford worked well before, but it just wasn't working for us that day. I'm tempted to continue to experiment with bits; I don't have an elevator and I can't decide if one would be too much leverage for her, but the waterford also doesn't seem to be the right fit, either.

It would help, I'm sure, if she had more muscle. We did some dressage on Tuesday, and again struggled with a good connection and her being really through, so it's probably largely fitness that is our problem. I just need to ride more, and I'm lacking a lot of motivation even though I have no real reason to be.


The horses like to pretend they are as tired as I am...

On the Arya front, we've only been doing ground work. She's gotten a lot better, though until our last session she really was either choosing to run through the woah cue, or really not understanding it. And when I escalate, her usual reaction is to run, so it's really positive that she is starting to change the habits of old. She had some pre-existing rubs on her chin before we began groundwork, but they're badly placed and are right where the chin of the halter is contacting when I pop on her when she's lunging, or when she tries to lean and run away from me (which happens a lot, up until the last session) so she breaks them open each time we do work, so I've only been trying to work her every other day to give her a break and time to heal.



I admit; I don't feel mentally strong enough lately to try getting on her, so I've been putting off long lining and bringing her back under saddle. My personal life, along with not sleeping through the night due to a puppy going out at 1:15 every morning is leaving me drained, and I feel so disconnected from this horse. I don't know why she reared, really, and while I can conject all I want, the unpredictability of that makes me nervous. Ground work certainly isn't BAD for her, but I am disappointed that I'm not feeling driven to get on her.

What do you do to get out of a rut?

1 comment:

  1. I definitely feel this way a lot, especially since getting my own place. Hauling off property to a friend's arena or for a trail ride sometimes helps!

    ReplyDelete