Monday, November 6, 2017

NaBloPoMo #6 - Your favorite tack and riding clothes you have

Yes, this does warrant two posts in one day, guys. The blogging world has turned me into a tack whore (albeit a very cheap one) and I love talking about stuff. Stuff makes me happy today :)

Alrighty, so let's get down to business:

Horse wise, my favorite brands are Courbette, because I now own two Courbette saddles that suit me better than anything I've ever ridden in. I have a Courbette Vision Extra (long forward jump saddle) and a Courbette Vision dressage saddle. I am so sad that the brand no longer exists, and think, if I do need another saddle, I'll end up looking at Stubben, who bought Courbette out way back when. I am thriving and feel much stronger and more capable than I have before in my dressage saddle, in particular, and I feel like the saddle is more forward and allows my leg to lay so naturally compared to other saddles.

Both of my horses, annoyingly enough, go like magic in a $14 Korsteel weighted loose ring snaffle with a single link, too, and that is the first bit I will put on a horse because it has yet to fail me. Compared to lighter bits or those with more links, the weighted snaffle seems to encourage a soft connection, self carriage and has worked out really well to keep mouths quiet.

Sunset Arya, with High jump and $14 snaffle

I'm also a total whore for my gadget/fad items, aka my Micklem/fake High Jump (though I'm starting to prefer the look of the micklem on my girls over the heavier noseband of the high jump, it's still the easiest bridle to put on ever, so it's my favorite for winter), my Total Saddle fit girths and my Back on Track products. All of these items add to the girls' comfort and I feel like they're more comfortable and happy doing their jobs when I use these products.

I also love every single Weatherbeeta blanket that I own, and will happily talk you ear off about the fit, quality and durability of those blankets. I'm sad but pleased that Foxie's old blankets went into the spare bin; they would have otherwise been on Arya, but since losing Foxie, many of her clothes (including her new set of Weatherbeetas) have gone to Arry, who is not complaining. I've been putting off pulling out the mediums with hoods, but we're starting to get cold enough that I feel like I actually should (the girls are wearing sheets and 180g stable blankets right now in the low to mid 30's for highs).

For me:

- Smartpak Knit pipers are literally the only reason I haven't died trying to ride my girls with my out of shape, muscle loss legs. My only wish is that they were cheaper so I could buy more (silly, I know) and that the waist elastic had a bit more substance to it; while it's not a deal breaker, I heavily regret days when I don't wear a belt. The stick is amazing and they are so comfortable I'm still stuffing long underwear under them so I can continue to take advantage of the comfy.


For the winter, the only breeches I've found really warm are the Kerrits Sit Tight and Warm full seats, though as I'll have my Arctic Horse skirts to hold off the wind, I'm contemplating the Smartpak winter breeches with silicone and am open to any and all recommendations!

Otherwise, I'm kind of in flux with a lot of my personal riding gear; I need to either get new half chaps or find tall boots to school in, and really resent the huge different in my ability to keep my legs quiet depending on what boots I am wearing. Because I've lost some muscle not riding as often, I'm even having fit issues with my tall Ariat winter boots, which honestly were never tall enough to begin with, but this issue seems to be more noticeable this year so far.

As I'm at a bit of a crossroads, I'd love to hear about boots, breeches and other rider spoiling type items!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'll have to try the Kerrits! I have no tolerance for cold whatsoever. I am a complete baby lol. I just recently bought the Mountain Horse Sovereign tall boots - really like those. (got them on a good sale at RW) But I have the Ariat Scout zip paddocks which are only $80 and I love them so much. I use those with Smartpak Harwich half chaps and love the combo as schooling apparel. As for breeches, the best cooling ones I have are the Ovation Aqua X but I have no clue for winter breeches lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go straight for the Sit Tight and Warm! They're the warmest, and stay that way especially if you air dry them (the less fluffy the fleece, the less they block the wind). I put cuddl dud long underwear (four way stretch) under them when it's really cold and they'll keep you pretty warm. I can do a full post on how I dress for cold weather if you want - I am at least a semi-pro at that! :)

      LOVE the Sovereign boots in looks... I just haven't had the dollars to look at that price point. I'm very tempted to try them on now regardless :D

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah that may be good! I doubt I'll need it tho - Vegas only gets to around mid thirties at the absolute worst if ever lolol. You'll LOVE the Sovereigns! I've only worn them a few times and they've already broken in somewhat. They're still a little tall for me, so they may be perfect for you! Yeah as I said I got them on a sale. Otherwise....yeah lol

      Delete