Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Quick Catch Up + Goals

Catching ya'll up (for those of you who don't follow my insta or the farm insta, that's a better place for updates lately - these written at work with no pictures updates make me feel so dreary):

- The barn flooded in March. The horses went on 24 hour turn out and it stayed flooded (because it froze) for a few weeks before it drained. Thankfully, hay has stayed dry (any standing water didn't come up under the pallets enough to impact it) but the stalls were flooded, and the aisle has been struggling with moisture a lot this year. Rubber mats and gravel command a lot of my thoughts at the moment.

- The mud is out of control because weather just won't quit showing up right before the ground dries up enough to be tolerable. The riding ring is a peat bog and needs a lot of work this summer, let me tell you. I'm managing, but it sucks and I need it to be sunny and warm!

- Bailey has come back into more work, and mildly lost her mind and her ability to canter or do a downward transition without trying to break my face. We've regressed back to her previous bit, added a martingale and she saw the vet for her teeth and seems to be coming back together. Our last ride (yesterday) was the quietest and steering a forward horse around puddles reminded me to stay out of her face, so she quickly progressed from needing a few circles to come down from a canter after her tiny jump to being utterly unimpressed with the tiny jump and coming back quietly and quickly. 

- Arya has been ground working, with and without "clothes" and has been doing some lunging in a bridle and long lining. I've also been sitting on her and riding at the walk in a sidepull rope halter and bareback pad. I'm not dead yet! This is likely because of the management changes below >

- Beyond turning up the turn out, Arya has also been getting Purina Outlast 2x a day, with an extra snack whenever I pull her out to work/out of the pasture abnormally (i.e. for vet or farrier) and Smart Mare Harmony. She seems less sensitive to touch (and less likely to offer to kick me for grooming she doesn't approve of) and her tummy seems happier in general. If this is the miracle we needed, I won't argue. 

- The mares saw the vet and got their shots and coggins, and their teeth done. Neither had anything horribly bad, but I can now move forward confident they are comfortable in their mouths (ahem, BAILEY). They also saw the farrier, who accidentally quicked Arya and she bled all over. I'm wrapping and trying to keep the foot clean, but its a total lost cause with all the mud. Hopefully I can keep it clean enough until the Keratex Putty I ordered for it arrives on Thursday. 

My goals, for the next little bit (because the footing means that I may not be able to work as consistently as I'd like) are:

Arya (when she's sound): long lining ~2x a week, with a 3rd day of groundwork and walking with me up. Send over a pole at least one session a week. Until she's sound, we may go for walks around the property, groom and maybe do some walking ground work to keep her from getting bored.

Bailey: keep working on rushing away from the fences and being soft and forward into the bridle. Walk/Trot lateral work, transitions and maybe trot poles, looking for her to be quiet in my hands. 

Barn: when dry, begin leveling aisle and laying mats to prevent further mud and wear. Possibly purchase gravel for doorway areas to build up and prevent water flowing in.

Farm in general: Weedwhack pasture fence lines and arena fenceline, trim down baby trees on the fence lines. If appropriate, killzall under the fence. Soil test the pastures and determine plan for pasture maintenance.

Blogging: be better about keeping up with updates. Find a way to comment, because my phone and work computer both have been refusing to post comments. I am reading, and I'm sad I can't respond and engage with folks.

1 comment: