Friday, June 10, 2016

That Time I Did Stuf

Lets recap this week, because I'm bored at work, burned out from stress and saddle sore. It's a great combo, let me tell you.

I didn't make it to the barn Friday, but rode both horses on Saturday morning. I'm trying to remember what I did with Bailey; I know I did flat with Fox and popped her over the cavaletti up in the jump arena, but no idea what the red horse did. Whoops. 

Tuesday, I sat on Foxie and we did a bit of jumping since the jumps were set at Fox size. She seemed happy to be jumping, but morally opposed to giving to the bridle, and stiffer through her back than usual... the crack in her front hoof is also getting worse (...yaaaay) so I just kind of let her be. After dinking around and taking some photos of western barn friend J, I convinced her to walk over to the XC to video B and I while we played around. We discovered water in the water complex (like 4 whole inches of it, maybe) and finally got some media of the picnic table. Bailey was happy and pretty forward (while simultaneously feeling like she was going in slow motion). Our brakes weren't the most accurate, but I'm starting to think she just wants to be back in her regular snaffle some more. I may stick the waterford on her jump bridle just for kicks, or look into a slow twist loose ring... but maybe I just need to learn to lighten my horse's front end.

I also started a business (officially, it's been brewing for a while) on Tuesday, acquired my first clients and my first work, which I will do at Roebke's Run this weekend. Whoo! Second income FTW. 

By Thursday I had (still) been going non-stop, so while I waited for my fitness buddy to show up, I worked Fox in the upper small outdoor. Our farm is hosting the MN Highschool Rodeo this weekend (I picked a great weekend to be working) and I wasn't sure if I was allowed to take her for a paddle in the XC water, so we stuck to the arena. The toe crack seemed tender, but I also realized post ride that she was out of previcox, so that could definitely account for the general sense of discomfort. She also looked AWFUL weight wise, so I'll be watching her carefully to make sure we don't need to up her feed. I also want to get at least Bailey going on the hay hoop train... she had more hay than usual last night (Thursday) but it was strung all over her stall like it was a party. Um, no. 

Bailey got to do some long trots last night, which was a piece of great planning because it was 85+ degrees yesterday and both horses were sweaty (B was DRENCHED) coming out of their stalls. She actually dried once we were out doing work, which was crazy. We did a few circuits with plenty of walk breaks - it was kind of nice to be out with J's horse because she makes B feel less slow. We'll see how her energy levels are on Monday - maybe she's fitter than I think (or we didn't actually push her. or both). 

Video of the XC from this week coming up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment