Monday, April 9, 2018

There's Probably an App for That

Hi Friends!

I haven't frozen to death, despite more snow, and then more snow... and last night, a dusting of SNOW! My favorite </sarcasm>
 

Anyways, I have been trying to keep up with my barn chore tracking, plan ahead and figure out what vaccinations my horses need (because shout out to the vet who totally gave the horses double vaccinations from their spring shots this fall, what the HECK was I thinking?!) and plan for the farrier this week.

I am, however, really bad about paper. I like paper. But I forget it exists. So my hay tracking sheet already has some question mark ridden squares because I forgot I had a tracking sheet this weekend. And it just dawned on me that there has to be a better way to do this.

So, do any of you use apps to track horse related information? I think  it's time to get high tech!

I am considering going low end and just creating another google calendar to track horse stuff, but I have so many different calendars already that it's getting kind of bulky and annoying. What I really want to track is barn related items - use of hay and bedding, putting in feed - but I also really want to track vaccinations and follow up from the vet, since that is apparently a mess, as well.

Because taking pictures of vet bills is lame
I swear I used to be able to keep track of all this stuff, but apparently I don't have room for this in my brain anymore. Am I getting old?

Maybe I just need naps.

11 comments:

  1. I'm using EquiTracker for my horse vet/farrier stuff (since my horses are on different trim schedules), but it doesn't track barn stuff. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking at one called EquiTrack, which looks like an Equilab/Equisense type ride tracker. Is yours on iOS? Or is the vet stuff buried in the riding stuff? I'm experimenting with tallying/counting apps for barn stuff, since I want to track hay and bedding use - one is called Tally, and another is called Productive. I'm going to try out both and see if they work, I'll report back!

      Delete
    2. No I have Android, and the one I use for vet/farrier isn't available for Apple unfortunately :( boo. But do report back on the hay/bedding tracking. I know roughly how long my shavings last me and how much hay I go through, but more accountability never hurts! 🙂

      Delete
    3. Booo! I have an android tablet... so if anything I could track on that, but phone is easier since I always have it with me. So far, I really like "Tally" so far but I'll try to use it more than 15 minutes before I review it. So far, it's dead simple, good metrics/views, and I was able to put in past days data from my paper sheets. I might pay for the "Ultimate" so I can have more than 3 trackable things - annoying but I guess good apps usually cost money.

      Delete
    4. I've been tracking my bags of feed in my expenses spreadsheet, so I could probably get away with a free version if all I wanted to track was bales of hay and muck buckets of shavings (which is how I rebed stalls since we buy bulk sawdust. Interesting ideas!

      Delete
    5. I've been plagued with last minute trips because I'm out of bedding (wish I could find a bulk place - and had a place to store it, ugh!) or short on grain the last week of the month, so I feel like I need to get a better hold on things. Plus, it will be nice for budgeting next year. My husband is very disgruntled that I had/have so much hay still when it technically should be spring, so I'm trying to be more accurate for next year - though selling hay at a profit to others who came up short this spring felt both mean and nice...

      Delete
  2. HorseNotes is what my barn uses. The app itself is a little hinky, but the website is awesome - vet records, training records, a calendar, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I spent some time putting stuff in - the website is great! I'm liking the ability to print stuff off as reports, like... a lot. Awesome suggestion, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hehe, I totally know Sunrise and used to have them do my vet work when I lived further north. I even went to one of their spring events and have the magnet on my fridge. Funny to think we may have met without even knowing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started using them when we moved last summer, and ended up buying a puppy from one of the vets. Small world!

      Delete
  4. Google Drive with Google Sheets. Everything will be right there on your phone.

    ReplyDelete