Monday, August 8, 2016

Recently

I'm such a terrible blogger - I still can't find a way to talk about things that isn't boring, and while I feel like a lot has happened since my last post, we really haven't done much that is heavily bloggable.

Foxie:

Foxie is now on Amplify (YAY!), extra grain and she and Bailey share a paddock with a substantial amount of hay that they now share.

She doesn't look any better, yet, but I'm hoping. After talking to some folks last week, I broke down and ordered her some Smart Pituitary Senior pellets on sale today... if they help, we'll know that she does have something going on other than stress and getting kept away from the food. Basically, what they pointed out was that Foxie has a few things that are definitely not normal:

- Longer than normal hair coat
- Dull, lifeless personality
- Muscle wastage / lost weight
- Panting after a relatively low impact riding session

So I'm starting to think that she's early Cushings. Maybe. We will see.

Bailey:

Bailey and I prepped for the Dom Clinic, rode in the Dom clinic and no one died. I wasn't riding as confidently as I normally do (apparently I'm only a badass when no one is watching) but Bailey was pretty darn obedient and really seemed interested and "up" in the jump field for day 1. Day 2 I had to fight for the fences a bit, but generally she was good, and straight forward. She was a forward beast all weekend and I'm finally starting to get her to go forward to the fences, I feel like. We were super crooked on Day 1, but I feel like that was a weird attitude thing - she was 1,000x better day 2 despite being spooky.

Of course, post Dom clinic I went out and we jumped lots of the scary stadium and even a few XC fences and she was a forward, half-haltable, fence clearing beast. If only it was that easy when people were watching! Ugh. I need to take several chill pills and ride with an audience more. I really don't like feeling like my anxiety is crippling our ability to perform, because it was night and day, jumping the same fences alone and in the clinic. I felt like I had to drive and fight (though each fence got easier with repetition) when I was being watched, but pointing Bailey at them again she was 100% "YES MA'AM" and galloped them. They felt so much smaller that way.

In between my last jumping day and the clinic, I gave Bails an easy week of a short flatting ride on Wednesday and a lot of days off. Not only has it been stupidly hot and humid lately, but her feet were kind of coming to pieces for the clinic and while we have a farrier appointment tonight, I've been taking it easy. The weather has been hard on both horses' feet and bodies this summer and between having them adjust to relatively solo life last week and the heat we've been dealing with intermittently, I'm ready for it to be fall. We're headed, this week, for more nasty temps before cooling down for the weekend. I'm so glad I hung fans for the girls - they're definitely a necessity in a barn with less airflow.

I feel like I've been floating; no competitions, no real goals now that we've done Dom, and honestly... I don't know if I will ride in September. We'll see. I'd love to get out and trail ride some, and maybe take some dressage lessons. We need to improve but I've definitely been enjoying this hiatus from competition. It's nice to not have a fire under my ass, but at the same time... we need to have something to work towards or I feel like we'll be doing the same thing forever.

Foxie Goals:
1. Regain weight and muscle
2. Monitor weekly with photos - including when she starts the Smart Pituitary
3. Start working her up to doing more, and make sure she's a part of the plan a few days a week.

Bailey Goals:
1. Continue to play with saddle fit and watch her weight; find a functional norm for both saddles and ensure she doesn't get any skinnier.
2. Jump in the slow twist but play with bits on the flat until we find something that works well
3. Dressage work: work on strength, straightness and bending. Re introduce the medium and lateral work, and push for more shoulder in/fore work (3.5 - I need more core strength and position strength)
4. Jumping work: BOLD and CONFIDENT are the words we're working on. Replay exercises that gave us trouble from the Dom clinic and start pushing height because you know you can do it. Height and accuracy. Yes, Ma'am rides on the first go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment