Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Dressagin'

I'm starting to get pretty solidly into Otter Creek prep, and last night was no exception. We toodled out right after dinner and went right to work. Bailey put in some lovely trot work and was very willing and even when she lifted her head to look, obediently dropped down into the bridle with only a small reminder. I worked hard on keeping my hands up, my reins short and my contact solid, and (shocker!) if I hold up my end of the deal, she does pretty darn well with hers.

Lets not do this at a show again, hmm?

Canter work was less forward than I would like, and she did come up through the transitions down, so that's something to work on. Halts were so-so - it takes a few reminders to get her to not use my hands as an emergency brake. She didn't attempt to back, which was nice since I totally taught her to do that without thinking this winter. Whoops.

We got a lot better at dressage by the end of last season.
We schooled the short canter transitions in the Starter Intro C test and I continue to cement my hatred of that test - I'm actually excited to move up! The canter transitions are after A, through the corner, since you are supposed to begin a circle at A, and through the first 1/4 of the circle, develop your canter. And before A again, you should be working trot, rising. For Bailey, that means we get like... 5-6 strides of canter before we have a downward again.

So dressagewise, goals are:

1. Prompt canter transitions
2. Continue to work on quality canter
3. Continue to work on keeping the brain in the box, especially at the trot.
4. Downward transitions that don't suck/involve flinging oneself around
5. Steady halts with no backing.

I need to:

1. Keep fixing my hands until they stay fixed.
2. Not let my leg get too far back
3. Half halt through every corner and ramp up > half halt > transition for successful upwards transitions
4. Memorize my dang test.


No comments:

Post a Comment