Monday, April 20, 2015

Epiphanies

I got some unconventional help this weekend; from a cowboy who stood and watched me try to handle my red diva in a full on diva rage while hand grazing his beloved, well polished quarter horse.

You see, I seem to have forgotten how to jump properly. Our first few rounds were awful, legitimately. And then J commented that B looked like she needed more in her mouth. I've been toying with more bit, and have been putting a martingale on for damage control, but I still didn't have control up to the fence, and had a horse who was shoving her face down between her knees and toodling off in a "are you bucking or celebrating?" questionable way. AKA going on to the next fence was... less than successful.

And seeing as we have to jump a course in a little over 4 weeks, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

But I actually listened to the rail coaching cowboy, and worked on getting my horse soft in my hands. we did lots of circles before and after fences, and we didn't get to jump until she was soft and focused.

And boom, my leg was back on track. BOOM my releases made a lot more sense (instead of throwing one's body after a horse who is taking a "what the hell" distance) BOOM my horse was jumping with a tight, pleasant form and WASNT TAKING OFF WITH ME AFTER.

Guys, it was awesome. I mean, I rubbed two lovely blisters into my ring fingers because I forgot my gloves, but Bailey jumped like a normal, quiet hunter pony... and it was great.

Project for the next week (pending rain):

- Ask for soft in the bridle all the time. Ask and ask and ask and let her know what is good.
- Work on soft in the bridle at the canter, which was the trickiest gait on Saturday.
- Jump more, soft in the bridle, and work on focus and softness on approach at the canter.

and since the weather looks like wind and rain and cold sadness, I am probably sticking the horses back in their sheets. Blech.

Speaking of that... I probably need to have a clean sheet for the horse trial. I have to pack for the horse trial. OMG!


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes horses just need repetition to figure out what they're supposed to do. I bet once you work on being soft in the bridle all the time, she'll be quick to learn that what's she supposed to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're trying! Still frustrating and a struggle, but that's what I signed up for with a young horse. Some days she retains everything I teach her, some days not so much ;D

      Delete