Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Saddle Saga Continues...

So I've spent most of this week shopping obsessively all over the internet trying to find myself a majikal Classic Saddlery saddle.

So far I have discovered:

1. The internet sucks.
2. There aren't too many of these suckers for sale
3. Facebook saddle propositioning is the worst.
4. Closely followed by tack stores who don't check their emails, apparently.
5. No one agrees on how to photograph or measure things.

Last night I bit the bullet and checked the damn thing out for a trial. I brought it out to the barn, plopped it on my benevolent red horse and stared at it. Then I swapped it for my current saddle. And then back. I played with the adjustable tree. I groped hopelessly for the last rib.



And finally, I said "fuck it" and tacked up to ride. I worried about getting bucked off; no bucks were offered. So we went out to play outside. And angels sang (quietly) again. Bailey was softer in the bridle than usual, and once I stopped pushing my leg forward, I actually felt like I wasn't flopping all over the place and had control of my leg aids. Like I could be subtle. It also pushed my hips up and forced me to ride with my chest up and open... and not like a gollum hunched over my horse. The big blocks were supportive but not forceful, and didn't push my leg back like that one time I rode in a Wintec with Contourblocks. Basically, my body was where it was supposed to be and riding BB and dressage was easy. Cantering was easy. Doing things while also cantering was also easy. It was just... great.

The problem? The saddle does have some unsightly issues; scratches, some fading... and a weird rip in the gullet area. So I need to look at it really hard and a) decide if it's worth keeping and b) probably call a saddle fitter to get the thing fitted. In the mean time, I've compiled a list of similar brand/model saddles... that way if I decide it's too long, I can get measurements of an 18". Or if I decide I don't necesarily need the adjustable tree, I can look at fixed tree models. So I have options, but I want the unicorn perfect saddle.

Of course I do.

2 comments:

  1. Saddle shopping is the worst! Hope you find your unicorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I ended up keeping this beast, and really like it :)

      Delete