Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The World Is A Crazy Place

I might be super bored at work and I might have just spent an hour wandering around blogland reading. And what I've read makes me oddly thankful for what I have, while also making me very curious about what the future holds for me. Those are deep thoughts for another time - having my own place is a ways off still and reading the struggles of others is making me feel kind of silly for agonizing over a heated barn.

I'm always thankful for these two doofuses

This week has  turned into another low riding week, even though I'm XC schooling this weekend and should probably get on my red beast before then. I have a badly scheduled but much needed hair cut tonight, and it worked out that the hubs needed me to be home to take care of the pup anyways.


Its a good thing I adore him (well, both hims),  because I am also missing my ponies like crazy today. I'm feeling less silly for blanketing Bailey on Monday after our ride, but I'm also thinking that Friday is supposed to get quite a bit warmer than expected, so I may need to take advantage of my work from home day to work from a coffee shop so I can go take blankets off if it gets too warm.

Monday's rides went well, despite me popping a zipper on my tall boots and being forced to ride in my mostly-destroyed Dublin boots. Bailey and I got caught up in a beginner lesson (we rode in the small arena because lazy. But also testing the theory that Bailey prefers the small arena) so our ride was longer than normal because I had to wait until they were done to actually get anything done. Once the kids vacated the arena, however, she settled into the contact, came through (she had been doing a lot of the false-frame not quite where I wanted her type flatwork before then) and was really quite lovely. We got some good trot work and did some more walk-canter-halt. I really like the way transitions have been getting her up on my aids, and her halts have been improving since we started doing more transition work, and improve throughout the ride if we're doing halts. She wasn't too spooky, and even with my boots catching on my saddle flap constantly and feeling like a big fat wet noodle I felt like we did something.



The Foxmonster came out next, and I couldn't resist snapping some photos of her because she's starting to look like the beefcake Thoroughbred I know and love. Even though I know Bailey's dressage saddle isn't a good fit for her, I tossed it on (I was over the whole boot situation and was thinking about truck maintenance, not about my horse giving me a quality ride because she's comfortable) and we went to work. Foxie is rocking some impressive cracks in her front hooves, but still was sound feeling and quite obedient, even in a boucher vs her usual heavier bit. 

Looking forward, I think I'll be back out at the barn on Friday - between now and then I have a small to-do list of buying additional feed for Foxie, purchasing more coolant for the truck that I've been neglecting all summer (I started it and backed it up to the trailer on Monday - and no one died! Whoo!) and making sure my boot situation is sorted out for schooling. Luckily I have a myriad of options, but I'm still itching to get the boots over to my leather guy to get fixed. 

Today's cold and rainy weather is reminding me that in addition to winter coming, I also probably owe a lot of my equipment some winterizing maintenance - I should stop trying to force heavy socks and thicker breeches into my skinny schooling boots, and I should make sure that I have everything I need at the barn - coolers, quarter sheets, spare blankets, etc. I think this gloomy weather has finally broken my spirit - here's hoping that a little XC perks me up!




No comments:

Post a Comment