Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Clean legs!

After two weeks of battle with Arya's leg, I finally broke out the bute.

And in a haze of lack of sleep, guess who didn't even take a damn picture. Enjoy Knox and the girls instead!


And guess who's leg is clean as a whistle?

Eyerolls for ever why didn't I just go straight to the bute??




Either way, I'm treating her like she has a tendon injury and we're rehabbing. We did 10 minutes of walking and 10 minutes of trotting last night, and that's it. We'll slowly increase work, and I will watch that leg with an eagle eye.

In the mean time, I know I'm dredging up a fun debate asking, but do you use "support" boots to protect your horse? Or "strike" type boots? Why? 

(And what are your favorite ones, because shopping).

I own some Pro Choice SMB boots, but not sure they're the best. Or if they do anything.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear her leg is better! After my super old XC boots finally bit the dust this spring and fell apart, I bought a pair of Majyk Equipe boots and really love them! They fit well and clean up quite easily. http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Majyk_Equipe_ARTi-LAGE_Technology_Sport_Dressage_Boots/descpage-MDB.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the look of the Majyk boots! And the videos where people bash wine bottles wrapped in boots make me feel like they are amazing for strike related concussion.

      Delete
  2. There is overwhelming evidence that no human fabrication of plastic and nylon will ever be able to "support" a tendon under the forces to which horses exert them, so I tend to be in the camp of "strike boots". (This is long, but there's an experiment showing tendon flexing in a racehorse in there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsvS6gEBJuE) I've used WOOF boots, fleecy Dover boots, polos, and I was recently gifted a set of Majyk dressage boots that are quite nice.

    Just to go ahead and contradict myself, I do think that tight boots will provide more soft tissue support than no boots/loose boots. Like when I wrap my ankles -- I can pull them up tight and it helps stabilize my ankle. So to that end, tight boots or polo wraps may support legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I am the same way! I did a ton of research and "proved" to myself that support boots don't do anything... but I have also seen my horse go from lame to sound when I applied a pair of support boots (quite tightly). When my older mare injured her suspensory ligament, turning her out in boots made me feel a bit better than turning her out "naked" and they were much safer feeling than turning her out in standing bandages. The vet said "They won't hurt" when I brought them up for her, so I did it. I'm always stuck in this awkward in-between on support boots!

      Delete