Thursday, December 14, 2017

Horse Keeping Questions (#HALP)

The horses and I have had a pretty good week this week. Bailey and I journeyed out on Tuesday for a) my first loaded haul in the snow - eeek! and b) a ride in a friend/local barn's indoor. She just opened her ring up for open riding hours, and I plan to be make my way over there at least twice a week, as it's only about 15 minutes away if I don't drive like a grandma. Arya stayed home and I'm going to work on lunging her a few days to bring her brain back into training mode after a week plus off from me traveling last week, and hopefully can get her loaded and over to the indoor this weekend. Bailey popped around some little jumps and was a very good girl; manageable (if excited and very social) on the ground and steady under saddle. I'm so excited to have the opportunity to keep training and riding, even if my ring doesn't defrost enough to be ridden in.

Snow, we have it.

I spent all of last week in Salt Lake, came home late on Thursday and woke up with the stomach flu on Saturday, which means I had to beg hubby to take Ginny to her new home. I'm now down to two horses, and am trying really hard to decide... do I need a 3rd? Logistically, it's a lot easier. So I'm full of indecision and WARNING: the rest of this post is basically me melting down about the two main problems in my life, because nothing can ever be easy.

My vet mentioned that another vet at her clinic was looking for boarding (pasture) for two horses, an elderly Arabian who "eats mostly senior feed" and a teenaged paint horse who I think might be a gelding. Obviously, it's very tempting to take on another boarder; the income helps offset the costs of keeping my girls and while it wouldn't be the same as having J around, it might be worth a try. My reservations with a boarder is, of course, the fact that they wouldn't probably come to the farm until the spring, and we'd have two new personalities in the pasture. I am also a bit apprehensive about the elderly Arabian, though the vet said her owner would be out to care for them "daily". My husband only sees the boarders who could offset the costs of keeping my animals, and having a vet around the house means we'd probably get free vet advice. I feel like the latter might end up being quite awkward, so I've been thinking hard about it.

As you can see, I don't have any recent media. My phone has been too dead and it's been too cold to take my gloves off.

Before I heard about the boarder, I was considering adopting an older OTTB who has been with CANTER MN who is described as "laid back" and an easy keeper. Per the CANTER rep, she's currently out in the pasture (so she's hardy) and despite a fat knee, is sound. She's advertised as a trail horse or broodmare type and came out of a "rescue pen" run out of the local shady auction (I believe) and she's been up for adoption for quite some time now; I'm guessing her age and knee are offsetting to a lot of potential adopters, and while she is older (an 04 model) I think it would be nice to have some... more mature influences in my pasture. Having a third horse, even an easy keeper, would increase my feed and bedding costs (though hopefully she's pretty tidy) as well as my vet and farrier fees. I'd also feel like I need to keep her in some semblance of work, which I probably don't have enough time for, at least right now. However, if she does work out, I would always have two horses at home, even if I take Bailey and Arya somewhere together. The herd would be consistent, and I wouldn't be high and dry if a boarder decided not to stay with us. I'd also have a horse that could potentially be appropriate for less experienced riders should they want to go a-toodlin' with me - or something chill to sit on when the two spooky babies get on my nerves.

Arya: Neither good at modeling new bridles, nor at not being a spaz under saddle.

What would you do?



I think I ask that question a lot lately, and I actually want to ask it again, right now. Why? Because the tiny ba-Donk-a-donk, Kahlua, is now going outside for a few hours at a time. She's been wearing her Amigo Foal blanket inside and out this week as it's been quite cold (in the 20's for highs, sometimes single digits in the mornings) and blowing. It's got 200 grams of insulation, which is about on par for what the horses are wearing right now (Medium weight Weatherbeetas with hoods, 220 grams of insulation). I do worry though; she doesn't feel warm under the blanket, especially outside in the wind. I'm thinking she's going to need something warmer, but also... is that crazy? I've been trying hard to not overfeed her and set her up for a life of weight and metabolic problems; she's not fat in any way shape or form. I have started giving her more hard grain (I need to measure, but she gets about 1/2 lb of Triple Crown Lite a day, sometimes a bit more).



The foal blanket fits her a bit awkwardly; it doesn't really want to stay back where it belongs so it rides up her butt and poofs out in front of her little chest, as her neck is set differently from a horse. It's set out to about the 38" measurement, but she's still basically tiny and doesn't seem to be that much bigger than she was. Do I add a fleece when it gets colder? Do I leave her be? Does she need more insulation?

As of right now, when she's out she's usually in my "barn shelter" - aka under the overhang on the far side of the barn, which has a wind break. She hasn't tried out the upper shelter, which the horses seem to favor when it's very windy. I just worry that she's not going to be warm enough, especially when we get into the  - she's got fluffy, long hair, but it doesn't seem to do much for her when it's windy, and definitely isn't a waterproof hair coat.

What would you do?

4 comments:

  1. i don't know anything about donkeys so no help there. regarding adopting your own third horse, fourth equid (a senior with questionable soundness) vs taking on a boarder who has a senior.... the arguments i saw above in favor of getting this CANTER ottb were the positive influences it could have on your herd. wouldn't the boarder's horse be just as likely do the same, without you being on the hook as owner? and if it didn't work out, they could just move on just like J's horse did? seems like a safer bet to me - and it also decreases costs instead of increasing them. unless you just want the animal and not the people, and cost isn't a concern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making it through that, and for making me think! I think the CANTER mare is cute and has a lot of potential, but it does her no good if I adopt her and don't do anything with her. I'd take her with the greatest intentions and love/spoil her, for sure, but if I can hardly book time into my life to ride the two I have... I have sort of proven before that unless I'm being very disciplined, even my second horse suffers a bit in their work. Bailey doesn't mind this at all, but you're very right; I shouldn't take on more when I am barely handling the current. It's just hard when your horses are overly attached to each other and the grand plan with the donkey being their buddy isn't really blossoming at the moment.

      Delete
    2. As a person with a general hatred of people creeping around my personal area--in your case that would be your private barn--I'd be all, Hell to the No with another boarder. But you don't seem quite as bitchy as me and it sounded like the previous boarder worked out just fine minus the pasture dynamics not clicking so in that case I can definitely see the logic in trying that route again.

      That said, if your current problem is the two mares being overly attached and Les Donk not being ready to integrate into the herd quite yet, I think there's no better time than winter to sit back and give things some time. Can you put the donk and one of the mares in the barn while you take the other one to the indoor to ride? I'd hate to see that attachment just getting stronger and spiraling into full mare meltdown if you decided to take them to shows and they're like, WHERE'S MY SOULMATE?! the whole time. Plus some extra time to wait it out would give Kahlua more time to gain some confidence and figure out that she's supposed to be part of the herd.

      I would pass on the Canter mare. If she doesn't fit in with your two, it would sounds like it would be pretty difficult to rehome her if some place with the outreach of that organization is having trouble finding the right fit. Just my two cents. :)

      Delete
  2. I think you should give yourself more credit... and also I'm a Minnesota bitch so I'm nice on the outside and passive aggressive and resent people behind their backs. It came out a bit with J even though we're riding besties, so I worry I'd be really a B to someone I don't like as much. Also, I doubt vets regularly give out free advice, even to their "Barn owner". Your advice is 100% what I need. Cool your jets, Ashley. Let the donkey be outside more than like 4 hours before you jump to conclusions.

    And the separation anxiety is already obnoxious, so I need to knix that quickly. Arya is not as bad as Bailey, but I need to figure out a plan for keeping Bailey from hurting herself when I take Arya away; I took her out to lunge in the ring at home and there was running and screaming from B, so I need to figure out how to safely contain her (or if she pipes the F down when we're gone) or accept that she's going to stall walk her stall into a nasty ass mess every time we leave, and accept it. I feel bad for the CANTER girl but at the same time... you're right. Like Emma was right. There's no use in owning a horse that isn't the right fit.

    ReplyDelete