Thursday, December 28, 2017

2017 Goals in Review

I wrote two sets of goals last year; one was achievable, one was not, and thus  the reason that they got re-done after realized how overly ambitious I had been earlier in the year. But let's see how we do with lowered expectations:



Bailey Goals: 
- Jump 3' course by end of the summer 
BB happily cruises around at 3' when she's in shape! She's definitely gotten the "I jump big jumps" attitude towards smaller fences. 
- Work haunches in, lead changes and maybe walking half pass? 
This work happened but that doesn't mean that she can do flying changes yet. Or ever.
- Confirm leg yields and shoulder in with dressage trainer - 
FAIL. I didn't get to any lessons this year. 
- Continue to build off-site XC experience and confidence - 
FAIL. I didn't get out to school anywhere new and exciting this year. This is on my list for next year for sure, with both horses.

Lesson / Clinic / Show Plans:

- Lesson with Dressage Trainer 1x a month when weather allows (aka probably not winter) - FAIL, no lessons were to be had.
- Show @ Carriage House Combined Trial 
We got 2nd in the BN!
- Consider the following shows as finances and prep allows: Roebke's Run Schooling trials, Three Ring Circus, local hunter/jumper shows 
J and I went to Sunborn Stables' schooling show this fall. Win!
- Heavily Consider local "clinics": Focused Riding Center clinics, XC schools off site as opportunities arise - 
FAIL. I didn't get out to anything lesson or clinic related, and no schooling like I said.
- Attend the Hunt Pace this fall if possible (technically could bring Foxie if I chicken out). 
FAIL - this was cancelled for the fall event :( 

Other Plans:
- Have the saddle fitter out to adjust the dressage saddle ASAP

- Continue trailer organization project - 
FAIL. Moving did help with the trailer clutter, though.

It's been a really crazy year; I'm planning to recap, but this time last year I had no idea that Hubby and I would soon be starting our farm buying saga and everything that has come along with it. It's been a year of awesome highs and also horrible loss. This have, almost simultaneously been amazing - to the point that I can't stop backing up to the big picture and being so endlessly thankful for what I have - and filled with doubt, regret and fear. My family has grown and changed in ways I couldn't have imagined, but despite the obvious emotional hits... it's been a good year. 

6 comments:

  1. I hope I have a farm buying saga in 2018 :P Congrats on a great year! I'm impressed you get so much accomplished without lessons! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, too! It's a very emotional and life altering thing, at least so far. I have my fingers crossed for you :)

      I've completely fallen off the productive ride train lately. I used to be so good at keeping myself focused -_-

      Delete
  2. I'm incredibly impressed with all you've achieved while still pursuing the farm buying saga! You've had an awesome year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! That means a lot, even if I am still not sure I've actually achieved much of anything.

      Delete
  3. You got a ton accomplished with everything else that was going on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its really great to have the easier goals along with the more pie in the sky (or long term versus short term when the short term help add up to the long term one). Congrats on getting things done.

    ReplyDelete