Tuesday, January 2, 2018

New Year, New Kid

I'm trying to get some of my year-end wrap up posts done, but lost all motivation due to the weather, and not being able to even clean two stalls without needing to defrost my fingers and toes, so hopefully you'll forgive me for pushing off some of the deeper thinking until I'm more capable of it.

We do have a new face, who has been showing up on the Farm instagram (@foxpointfarmmn) for those of you who follow over there. Meet Bizzy!

No time for pictures, only time for hay.


This does not properly express the roundness of this horse. She's massive.






Yes, I know, you guys had basically talked me out of her. But as my husband pointed out, she wasn't exactly doing anything at the CANTER rescue other than sitting in the pasture and babysitting other horses. And if that's generally her fate (as no one ever seemed interested in her for a job, and some folks were heavily critical of her conformation flaws when she was advertised as a broodmare despite having a few foals), why shouldn't she come live with me, and be spoiled as best I can while also serving the important purpose of keeping my girls company and providing some balance to my herd?

It seems silly to have a 3rd horse, but I'm actually very pleased with her; she's gone a bit feral from being a pasture pet, but she and Bailey are already quite bonded to each other and she loves the donkey. Arya is still biting at her a good amount, but she's kind of a B in general and she's also been out of work for several weeks, so I think they're all bored. So far, they are a happy little herd - they roll, and run and hang out as a family unit pretty well, and Bizzy is very patient with Bailey, who is sticking her nose where it doesn't belong and being silly, like she always does. When things melt out this spring, I plan to get her back into a program to get her body back into some type of shape - lunging and some light riding - to help lift that saggy topline. She's proven she's an easy keeper - she's quite fat right now despite being on 24 hour turn out in the negative temps - and is pretty tidy in her stall. She seems pretty savvy and chill about life, so I'm excited that my immature children have a patient mother figure in the pasture. She isn't a fancy moving show horse type, but she's growing on me!

I'm still playing with the spelling on her name, or trying to decide if I want to change it. I couldn't be happier that I renamed Arya. Do you rename horses? If you had a Bizzy, what would you call her?

6 comments:

  1. Aw, so glad she's settled in so well! I actually really like Bizzy, I think it's cute! You could always go to Bizzie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the name is going to stick - just not immediately in love with having two "B" names in the barn. I call Bailey "BB" a lot, but I don't think the horses really care.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. She is a sweet girl, too! I'm interested to see how she takes to work once we thaw out this spring.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new addition to your herd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I seem to be collecting... good thing I am almost out of stalls.

      Delete