Wednesday, November 25, 2015

I Can't Even

Today is the day of I-Can't-Even. Work? Newp. Motivated to ride? Definitely not. Capable of normal human thought? Not really.

Since I can't sleep (I mean I could, but I would be in major danger of losing my job) I figure... blogtime. What's happened since I posted last? Lots. Clearly I am bad at blogging. 

Since my last post, BB got used in a Natural Horsemanship (Buck Branaman style) clinic as an example of a horse who is spooky/doesn't trust her hooman to keep her safe. She didn't kill the guy, for which I was grateful, since that would have been embarrassing. She also wasn't full on Bellatrix Lestrange crazy... but from watching the clinician and then working with her/riding her, I think I have actually figured that facet of her neurosis. 

Clinician basically started off defining his "bubble" of space, and then worked with the B to get her feet moving when she tends to freeze while staring at something scary. He progressed to having her move laterally to get her to soften her body. By the end (when he had the audience applaud and stop randomly and start randomly) she was showing progress and was also much more respectful of hooman space and hooman guidance. Things I didn't like? When he disciplined her for not backing up on his cue - she's been taught a different one, and I think it's kind of obnoxious to punish a horse for responding perfectly to a cue you don't use. I also didn't appreciate him whapping her in the face once or twice with his flag - I don't remember the exact context, but I feel he could have been more understanding of a horse who hasn't ever been worked with on the ground that way. I am a soft mom, though.

Post clinic, BB was lovely on the ground. I did some basic work again before my ride, and I felt she was better than she would have normally been - more tuned in to me. Our last ride (Monday) was surprisingly not crap. We had farmily photos done on Saturday (thus no weekend ride) and Bails was AWFUL. Spooking, snorting, half bolting on the lead, and of course I wanted her in her show halter so I didn't have a nice rope halter or stud chain to pop her with. We're still waiting on photos, but Monday's ride went pretty well. 

First change? BB felt like she was trying to be good. Drew lunged her while I took the Fox for a spin and I was honestly a little worried - she was a total doofus. Once I got on, we focused on the two door corners of the arena. Right now, I'm trying for the following under saddle:

1. Continuing to go forward at the same pace (not stopping or scooting forward)
2. Not dramatically throwing the body to the inside when passing the scary thing (usually followed by a scoot/bolt)
3. Not locking the base of the neck and the jaw

I'm hoping with 2 and 3, we get the desired result of not losing bend/lead/etc when spooking and that she learns to "keep it in her pants" so to speak. She does well when asked to do shoulder in or leg yield towards the scary thing so I think we'll get to going through normally. I'm also trying to boot her forward and through the spooks and reward her when she relaxes - I also discovered I'm holding my breath at the canter, so I'm also trying to keep breathing, keep my elbows soft and not brace for the spook through my own body. I am sure she reads tension in me and reacts, so I can definitely help us improve by being more in control of my own body while I teach her to relax through hers.

We're not getting much "work" done, but I feel like it's good for her brain to learn to chill out. Her canter will improve from her gaining balance and focus (and hopefully so will her problem of losing the lead in the back when distracted) and she's staying fit and getting sweaty each ride, so I think we're doing the good - if not the fun/desirable - work. She was a little weird through the contact on Monday, as well, so I'm tempted to toss her into the boucher or the waterford for a ride or three. We can only get better, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment