Monday, November 2, 2015

My Horse Is An Asshat (A Variation on a Theme)

On Thursday last week we had a great jump school. I'll do a wordless Wednesday post with the pictures, I promise. I didn't ride Tuesday because of illness, and when the FH and I went to go see our girls on Halloween night, things took an... obnoxious turn.

We arrived at 7pm or so - it's pitch black out, and it looks like no one is at the barn, Except for my least favorite barn worker's car. Why is she here? Because the horses aren't in. FH and I retrieve Foxie and her Boyfriend (because they don't like to go into the barn without the other, and I felt bad for her Boyfriend in the cold wet dark) and grain them. I then go out, in the pitch black, slipping in nasty cold deep mud, to go catch my horse. But my horse, and her friend who is usually all "TAKE ME INSIDE THIS INSTANT PEASANT DONT TAKE THIS RED INFIDEL TAKE ME" when I come out at dinner time are over on the fence, giggling. I now see that the Barn owners gelding has been put out, and I'm pretty sure he's usually put out after these two. Why? Because they were both flirting on the fence line and galloping around wildly when I got anywhere near them, while the other two mares ho-hummed it at the round bale. 

Bailey and her friend continued to elude capture for approximately the next 20 minutes. FH comes out, asks what's wrong, and then goes back for a halter to wade out into the paddock to help me. I finally grab Boots, BB's nasty bitchy friend, and Bailey is lured over in the process (I am luring them with a used kleenex. It showed up in the dark and it was all I had in my pockets) and FH catches her. We get them inside. BB seems her normal cheerful self, and doesn't seem to realize that her two humans are muddy, wet, cold and angry because of her. 

So we went home. FH was wet up to his knees, we couldn't go out for dinner after now that we were coated in mud, and BB was probably going to be a brat anyways.

So we went home. And watched Game of Thrones until bedtime. And it was okay.

Horses can be so frustrating sometimes, but I'm glad I had the FH there to tell me to walk away. Some days you win, some days you lose, but when it comes down to it, one night isn't going to make or break our plans and goals - where a bad ride might set us back in our work.So there's my bright spot in my Halloween weekend. 

On to another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment