Monday, May 23, 2016

Jumping Sticks (x2)

I actually rode my horse again! I know, this really shouldn't be such a victory. But it is, so bare with me.

We're finally into glorious summer-ish weather here in Minnesota, and I am one happy camper because of it. Bailey seemed pleasant and happy to see me when I arrived on a lovely 70 degree afternoon this week, and I took her out to play over some sticks, because as my lovely husband reminded me, I haven't actually show jumped her in... a month? More?

I was in a good mood, so finding my horse in a broken halter only irked me a little bit. I don't get how she keeps breaking hardware and leaving the break-away fuse in tact, but whatever. 

So much derp.
Anyhoo, sticks. There was a lesson jumping adorable tiny ponies over adorable tiny jumps, but when they were done, I casually destroyed their excercise and moved their trot poles, because... ponies. We ended up with this:


ART


 I warmed up trying to use the pony distances, I'll admit. But finally I ended up with a mid-size vertical with placing pole, a good sized x-rail with placing pole and a random, terrifyingly 2ish holes higher than everything else hanging vertical. Bailey was kind of happy in a too-forward kind of way, and it was hard to package her so that she'd hit the placing pole right and not kill us over the fence. I played with the two outside fences for a while. Right before I got on, I had set the vertical and honestly, I had butterflies in my stomach, because it seemed BIG.

It didn't really ride all that big. Bailey was giving it a kind of awkward, leg-hangy type effort. I connected the jumps a few times and ended up kicking for the long once or twice, and was pleased with the jump that I got out of her. It seems like we hardly did anything at all, but Bailey was panting and sweaty pretty quickly. I guess it's time to put some more fitness on her! I don't blame her, because we've had bipolar weather like crazy. After the 50's and low 60's and rain we had last week, 70-something felt glorious. We went on a little hack - the plan was to pop over the ditch and down the banks on our way back to the barn - but realized the schoolie fence was up blocking the XC side of the gallop track, so I just cut losses and rode the tired beast home. 

She rinsed off like a normal functional horse, of course, after I got all prepped to deal with a rearing, thrashing monster (again). I took a quick trail ride and did some work with the Foxmonster too - overall, a great way to spend an afternoon at the barn :)



Edit: This post was actually written... at some point last week. Wednesday? Thursday? Anyways, we've jumped more sticks since then, this time in 85+ degree heat. Bailey was thrilled to be working out in the hot, dusty outdoor yesteday afternoon. We had the same set up, but the vertical with placing pole had become an oxer with wee standards and I set up a monster striped panel fence that weighed approximately 8 million pounds across the arena from the existing line. I was also wearing knee patch breeches and my new boots that I'm in the process of breaking in.

It went as well as you can expect. Giant crossrail with placing poles on both sides? No problems. She even managed to jump (awkwardly) the vertical with another badly placed pole until I got off and rolled it in. Over the oxer, she casually jumped me out of the tack a handful of times. We were stringing together courses, and I was pretty happy, and went "what the hell" and loped Bailey over the new fence. Or, should I say, pointed her at the new face, felt her slow down, went to my crop because my leg was totally done at that point and awkwardly got jumped out of the tack (stayed on the horse, though) while taking the extremely heavy rail. We put it back up, and once again, got jumped out of the  tack but she did go to it. Going the other way inspired a slow down to a stall and then mule leap reaction, which unfortunately resulted in me staying on my horse by virtue of pulling on her face.

LOVELY.

It was freaking hot, I felt like I was dying, Bailey was totally convinced she was dying, and when I finally was like fine, one more time clear and we'll be done, she pulls the rail again. UGH. We got one awkward, clean jump after and headed home to untack for a much needed bath. Since this post is getting long, I'll publish my goals and plans and some more squinty-analysis on Bailey's jumping "issues" in another post.
Hint: it involves more sweaty saddle pads


No comments:

Post a Comment