Wednesday, May 4, 2016

What Do Wednesday: Hay, you.

Dearest readers,

What does your barn do with hay? I'm curious how other barns handle feeding hay, both inside and out. Currently, I'm not a huge fan of how the new barn feeds hay, simply because my horses are pigs and waste a lot of their gorgeous hay. I'm not sure I want to be that boarder, though - the one who has an annoying list of requests for their horse. So, what do?

Funny human, hay is for sleeps!

Here's my current/past situation:

Dakota-

Inside: At our previous barn, my horses had their stall hay fed in a Prefert stall manger (outside door). While I know having heads down to eat is best, I was happy because while Foxie pulled her hay out of her manger a lot, it ended up under her manger and not in the middle of her stall to get peed and pooped on. Bailey's stall was also a lot tidier, hay wise.

The girls were fed 3ish flakes by the good barn worker, and 1-2 by the shitty barn worker.

Outside, the mares had net-covered round bales in various feeders. I didn't love the safety feeder that they put in towards the end (I mean, I'm all for safety, but Bailey was too tall for it so it rubbed a spot in her mane.

Woodloch-

Inside: the horses get their hay on the floor of their stall, currently. I watched Bailey pee on some beautiful hay the other day and that makes me unhappy. I also noticed B didn't have a speck of hay in her stall last night; pretty sure she got forgotten (not a big deal) but it would be nice not to stand there and wonder if she got fed and porked it all, or if she got forgotten.

Both girls get 2 flakes, which isn't something I LOVE (I'd prefer there to be more, but I get it) but it's good quality, so they tend to eat it up pretty fast.

Outside: The horses get fed round bales, netted, in feeders. Yay! My only :( is that there is only one bale, and quite a few horses.

Tell me internet... what do? Secondary to that question, has anyone seen these odd contraptions ("Hay Hoops") in use?



No comments:

Post a Comment