Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Sigh.

So we had our last lesson with Edee before she fled left for Florida. Unfortunately, she forgot her Micklem bridle so BB and I didn't get to try it. It has been terribly, awfully cold, as it has been lately (I'm riding during the negative temps, as per usual...) and we've had some good moments mixed in with the usual naughty red mare behavior.

In our last lesson, we worked on Bailey's trot work (medium > collected) and her lateral work (leg yielding) and as Edee said, she's confirmed with the skill set for both, she just needs more strength and practice. The canter was a little less fun, as Edee think's Bailey is growing again (meaning it feels like I am sitting on a giant splatter octopus pony of "I really don't want to try, thanks") which is contributing to her crap less than satisfactory canter work. We did, however, get assigned to work on that canter and add counter canter to her regimen, so I am hopeful she will, at one point, improve and stop splatting.

Bailey is confusing to own, in that I LOVE that horse - she's talented, beautiful, personable - everything that I wanted, but she is hell on four hooves to ride with the spooking and lack of work ethic, and also makes me hate myself on a regular basis. Bailey inherited her sister's old heavy weight blanket this year, and I was very happy that she had two nice blankets to start the year off with. Unfortunately someone in her paddock is fond of not only tearing that blanket (which makes me hate the red mare, because I know it's in part because she WILL NOT defend herself, or run away any faster than a saunter) but also takes part of the "flap" of the tear, meaning that I can't glue the seams to repair them. You can imagine my annoyance, as I now have a neck cover that needs sewing (thank god we can sew it), a bum tear that needs glue and a flank tear in her medium that I am honestly not sure we will be able to repair.

I alternate between overwhelming anxiety that BB will be left blanketless, and quietly muttering "serves her right". I never had much of a tearing problem with Foxie - we had one spring where I had to repair 3 blankets, but that's IT, in almost 10 years of ownership. I guess I need to stand up to myself and say unless she DEMOLISHES a blanket - IE beyond the point of repair, she gets to keep her patched, sad blankets. One is old enough that if it goes, it's given me 6 years of service. The other... I am less than fond of the fit, front buckles, lack of rockin' tail flap, etc so it will eventually be replaced with a Weatherbeeta Orican. Until then, I guess I get to deal with it also being patched. SIGH.

I feel like I am all kinds of negative right now... but alas, that is how I feel.

I think I need to plan a jump school sometime soon - I need some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment