Monday, February 27, 2017

The Devil in the Downpour

I've spent the last week in a hole, horse wise.

Bailey spent a week spooking and melting down under saddle, and slowly but surely I, much like a spoiled child, fell into a state of pouting disbelief. This winter has spoiled me, just like last summer spoiled me; Bailey had come into herself so much, and reacted so positively to the new atmosphere that I forgot that the winter of 2015-2016 was entirely unproductive, training wise. I've forgotten how much time I used to spend just Keeping A Lid On It, where this year I've been training lateral work and actually getting shit done. So the absurd week-long spring in the middle of February arrived and suddenly... the #feralredhorse is back to her feral ways. Spooking. Spinning. Rearing. Noping out violently away from me like I'm going to attack her.

I don't actually have any media of her noping out, but just imagine a horse flinging themselves sideways and half rearing a lot with rolling eyes and that particular look of crazy chestnut thoroughbreds seem to have on lock. 

So yes, I did spend the last week trying to figure out why my horse was broken (and considering everything from bits to supplements to sales ads as my solution) and bemoaning my life, my saddles, my tall boots (guess who's schooling boots decided to start breaking. Again. When I just got them back from the repair man.)

Show boots may become schooling boots.
Because why school in boots that hate anything other than the slimmest breeches and socks? 


And then it got cold again. And Bailey's brain came back. She was still a bit up when we ran up to the upper barn to chat with J on Saturday (though, in her defense, I haven't replaced her quarter sheet yet and it was COLD) but came down to the lower ring and... did work. The turning stayed installed. I didn't wish for a running martingale the minute I got on. There was no bucking, no bolting. Lateral work was a bit resistant and rusty, but the tiny arena and jump saddle position aren't really her friend there. I'm looking forward to pushing the envelope more tonight - and maybe even setting up a jump, depending on arena traffic. It's amazing the things you think you can do when you're able to successfully stop your horse!

I feel silly, getting all frustrated and frantic after only a week - which is three rides - worth of bad behavior. It's been especially infuriating when Foxie is going so nicely and then I get on a horse that is about as comfortable to sit on (with steering and brakes about on par with it) as Miley Cyrus' wreaking ball. Bailey is a damn good horse, when it comes down to it. She's talented, and when she's keeping her brain properly between her cute little ears, she's a dream boat to ride. She truly is my dream horse.

So, here's to hoping I can figure out a tool box to deal with her seasonal reactivity, or at least stay on through it so we can spend the warmer months having fun!

3 comments:

  1. The warm spell had my mare expressing her feral side also...the joys of being owned by a mare lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Hopefully they got it out of their systems, right?

      Delete
  2. Ugh everything is so schizophrenic this time of year! I know how you feel about being down after a bad set of rides. That's no fun! It always gets better tho!

    ReplyDelete