Thursday, August 31, 2017

Bright Spots

I'm not capable of a lot of competent thought at the moment, but I am going to try and put some sunshine on this blog, and talk about positive(!) things. AKA things that make me happy. Here are some thing-things:

Arya smiling (yawning) made me laugh

- Higher Standards leather soap and balm: I finally got around to using this stuff on more than a dog collar a few weeks ago, and the smell + the awesome conditioner (I cleaned tack outside, so the sun warmed the balm to perfection) and how clean, soft and nice all of my bridles look right now is a total positive. I plan to do saddles and girths sometime soon...

- I finally got off my ass and washed some blankets: I worked out a pretty good system by the end using our flatbed trailer, the hose, a long handled scrub brush and my usual Rambo brand soap. The brush especially upgraded the experience to "quite cathartic" because I scrubbed a lot of negative feelings (and dirt) off of those blankets. If the trailer had been slightly slanted, it would have been 100% perfect, but the blankets are clean and packed away, and I only have approximately 10 more to do (ok, I haven't counted).

Arya may or may not be growing. Or else she just stands like a weirdo.

- I don't think I ever talked about it before, but I finally got to use my De-Braider tool after Carriage House earlier this summer and it's THE BEST tool. Braids came out so quickly, it was wonderful. I also have used it to change out hay nets on the hay hoops and even slice open hay bales... and it is a wonderful, useful little thing. 10/10 would recommend.

Always an excuse to use this photo. <3 my BB

- Speaking of sharp things, also 10/10 would recommend this hook knife that I purchased off of someone's suggestion on Stephanie's blog (Hand Gallop). I haven't had to use it as a panic knife, but it is GREAT for opening hay bales, and is much safer in general than the knife I was using, and half the time leaving open for horses to randomly impale themselves on (though I was leaving it open and shoved into a bale... still. Dangerous).


And some other stuff:

- My barn looks super legit, lately:

Top: before
Bottom: After!

- I finally sat on Arya! For all of 3 seconds, but I sat on her. Bareback. In a halter. This was brought to fruition by another positive in my life:

- My friend J and her mare Ginny are now our boarders! She arrived on Saturday and we've already had some weird and fun adventures.

On Mondays we stand in lines (Ginny is the one in the fly sheet)



No comments:

Post a Comment