Thursday, August 31, 2017

The Universe hits when you're down

Life isn't fair. I don't expect it to be. But at this point, I feel like the universe is holding a grudge.

Last night, 9:15 pm, I'm thinking about putting the dogs to bed and going up to sleep. Hubby had gone up early, because what's the point of sleeping on the couch, just go to bed. The neighbor's dog starts barking, and then I hear a noise. And something about it makes me go grab a flashlight and run outside, leaving the dogs to their own devices.

My instincts were right.

Arya's leg was pouring down blood, bright red arterial blood. I got her into the barn, and slapped a pressure bandage on her leg and winched it down with vet wrap. Her flysheet's shoulder was wet with blood. I had blood on my face, and on my hands, and it is so dark out.

I tote my flashlight out to the pasture, verify the other two mares are totally fine (they are) and investigate everything I can think of for signs that Arya cut herself on it.

And I didn't find a thing.

And then I got inside, got the dogs to bed, and then myself. I got up at 1 to make sure she hadn't bled to death (she hadn't) and was out there at 5 this morning. She wouldn't stand to leg me re-bandage the thing, and she had stall walked Bailey's stall (hers doesn't have mats yet) into a mess, and her leg had clearly broken open a few times through the night. I finally got a bandage on there - and laughably, I'm out of bandages, so I used one of the diapers I've been wetting and freezing to use as ice packs on Foxie's leg - and more pressure from the vet wrap bandage. And then, helplessly, I put her out.

I don't know if that was the right thing to do, but at least she won't be cranking around in a stall in tiny circles. Foxie was so sad to lose her new stall rest buddy. I went to look at her bandage - she kept a hock bandage on all night, I was so proud, and her bandages are soaked, and when I unwrap them, they're heavy and wet and filled with more lime green furizone even though I scrubbed her leg like a madwoman  and it's been a few days since the sweat wrap (and several bandage changes). I re-wrapped her, stuck a hock boot on that leg and went to go start my day, now an hour+ later than usual.

So today is already sucking hardcore.


4 comments:

  1. Ugh I'm so sorry to hear this :( Hope things turn around soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! Things have to get better soon. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that really sucks ): hopefully things start looking up!

    ReplyDelete