Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Arctic Horse Skirt: I wore it, guys!


I finally got to wear my Arctic Horse Tongass Rain Skirt last night; it wasn't raining, but it was quite cool and breezy, an approximately 58 (according to my car). I wore my regular breeches (Smartpak Knit Pipers with the Silicon full seat), and a warmer coat running errands before my ride and I was thoroughly convinced it was chilly enough. So I tacked up. Unfortunately J wasn't able to be out last night, so my media is limited - but more is coming, promise! Why?

Because I'm obsessed.

The skirt is easy to move in and it didn't take long to figure out how to move so that I don't magically wrap it around my clumsy ankles. It didn't catch on my spurs, and while the size is maybe a bit generous for wearing with just breeches and a thin shirt (no belt, no fleece, just the heavier coat over top) it has belt loops to hold it steady. I punched a few extra holes in my belt as the belt itself is a little too generous (thanks, Internet size guide that definitely wasn't 100% accurate).

I used the mounting snaps to get on, and had chosen my dressage saddle for my quick ride. It had been blustery and spitting rain all day, so Bailey was at maximum fluffiness and maximum "I IZ GIRAFFE" ness. I haven't had a quarter sheet on her in some time, so I was ready for her to decide she was being chased by a black plastic bag like she normally does when I put my fleece lined waterproof Horze quarter sheet on her. However, the Arctic Horse skirt is more of a softshell material than something like a turnout; it doesn't catch the wind and billow around. The mounting snaps made getting on a breeze - absolutely no issues. I settled the skirt around me and slid my feet through the straps that help keep it from flapping and we tapdanced our way around the ring, spooking at all of the tarp covered shed-to-be piles on one side of the arena.

Bailey didn't seem to mind that the skirt wants to slide down her butt over her tail (she's intensely short coupled, something I didn't think about when ordering, so the skirt sits much further down her rump than the horses in the product photos). She didn't seem to mind the minor amount of flapping that occurs when I post the trot, and happily jammed along at the canter like nothing was different in our set up. She did seem to relax more quickly than I expected; I'd like to attribute that to having a warm back. I resisted putting a Back On Track pad on her or doing anything special to warm her up, as I wanted to see how she truly reacts to the skirt.

I had more trouble with a rubberband-less peacock stirrup than the skirt, and it was easier to post in than my dressage show coat. It did not flap terrifyingly, and it truly never impeded my ability to ride (other than being so distracted thinking about how cool it was). It didn't catch on my saddle, or my spurs, or my dressage girth. It was easy enough to dismount, though I didn't use the mounting snaps and just whisked my way off her due to the leg straps. I was warm and windproof in a light weight way. I'm excited to finally try it in the rain - though Bailey might hate me for it.

Now, here are some images. My husband thinks the skirt is suuuper silly looking (he says I look Amish, I don't care), though I have photos of him wearing it like a cape, so... he can be quiet.

"Do you know how ridiculous you look?"
"Don't Care!"
"I'm taking a picture so you can see how ridiculous you look."

View from the saddle featuring Bailey's overly active walk



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I might be kind of nerdy excited about it... but I hate being cold! I've been dreading winter riding since we moved :(

      Delete
  2. Pretty sure one of my friends has like.... 4 of these, and RAVES about them. I should probably invest -- considering I have a lighted outdoor for most of my winter riding (haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I'm not alone!! In both the cold outdoor ring and the skirt respects :) I got mine from Riding Warehouse on discount... though so far it's totally worth full price. I plan to order a winter one, though I'd like to get a few more rides in with this one first...

      Delete