Monday, September 18, 2017

Moving On

First of all, thank you all, so, so much for the comments on my last post. I oddly haven't had the courage to truly respond, but let me tell you; every comment felt like a hug from someone who understood, and did so much to hold back the emotions when people around me clearly didn't understand what losing a companion and heart horse of 13 years was like, and nor did they care.

Miss you, Fox Mare.


We've decided to mark her grave with an apple tree and are calling the farm Fox Point Farm; I finally got husband to agree that having Fox part of the name is only right. The farm has always been a dream of mine, because the minute I got my 9 year old OTTB, I knew, eventually, she'd get old and need to retire. And I wanted to retire her to grass pastures and a giant comfy stall, as a way to say thank you for everything she has done for me. I've wanted to call it Fox River Farm forever, but we don't have a river (and the stream hardly runs anymore)... so Fox Point it is. We have pointing dogs, so it makes sense, at least more than Fox River. 

While the shit storm was raging around me, and in the hollow aftermath of putting Fox down, I just kept moving. I kept doing things. I couldn't stop and I felt like a monster, but I do feel like I had a choice; shut down and let the wheels fall off the bus (which cannot happen, IMO) or keep moving. 



I sat on Arya, and then rode her, and even though I was too scared to close my leg and ask her to walk off (J lead us instead, she's the best), Arya clearly has no memory of the rearing incident, and rode off just fine. We've been riding and lunging pretty steadily, and I'm asking more and more of her every time First was walk/trot, then walk/trot/canter, and on Saturday, we even jumped the world's tiniest crossrail. She's been good, if green, and I'm working hard to make sure that we take things slowly and that she is always confident in herself and the tasks I'm giving her. 

She is always super cute and fancy, IMO

And apparently my elbows are out of control... again.

Ignore the elbows, look at the try! She thought this was so scary.

We also took her photos for New Vocations, to send them her first update. She hasn't been enjoying the brief forays in to fall weather we've been having; she sucks herself in and looks to be all ribs despite appearing to be in good weight when it's not cold and windy. I'm trying to get her to grow a winter coat, so I've been trying to not put sheets on her, but I have broken down a few days here and there (and am contemplating going out and putting one on her now). 

IZ MAJESTIK

IZ COLD


Bailey has also been coming back to work, though she's clearly out of shape. She's been so lovely and consistent, but losing her condition really sets her back in relaxation and ride-ability. I guess I just keep fighting! I've been eyeballing a clinic late this month, but I'm not sure she will be fit enough in time, and also... my finances might not be that fit, either. I've been throwing a lot of money out there that I've felt like I haven't had a choice on, but it will definitely feel good to have the projects wind down for the winter and to be able to save and prepare ourselves to better take on next year. Plus, our hay field finally got planted and despite some unexpected costs, I'm so excited to be making our own hay next year (hopefully). Please cross your fingers for a mild fall so my pasture and hay has time to take root and grow. Also I just noticed I have no pictures of B lately. Poor neglected girl! 

In funner news, I have a new fun thing to review sometime soon (the bipolar weather has made it hard to use long enough to get a bearing on)... an Arctic Horse Tongass rain skirt! The heavier insulated version will probably be making its way to me very soon, too; just have to decide on colors and the style. Maybe a vote will be in order? 


3 comments:

  1. i'm glad you're feeling a little better about things right now. i'm the same way in needing to keep moving moving moving rather than collapse under the pressure. seems like you've got plenty to keep you occupied too - Arya looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep swimming, friend. But also don't forget to take care of yourself. If the wheels fall off, you can always put them back on. <3 And Arya looks great! So glad you are riding her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the comments helped you get through those first few difficult days. You're still in my thoughts! And glad you've climbed back in the saddle :)

    ReplyDelete