Monday, November 6, 2017

NaBloPoMo #3, 4, 5

I'm already failing on the blogging daily thing; I didn't even have the foresight to schedule posts when I knew I was going to be booked up all weekend with work and cleaning and houseguests.

But let's get a few of these out of the way, because honestly... I stalled out on prompt #3 and immediately got kind of sad and just quit. Go me.

#3 - Your Best Riding

This one really got me down, like I said. Because I can't think of any moments of spectacular riding on my part. I have some proud moments, where my horse was good, but I can't recall any particular moments where my own riding just knocked my own socks off. So. That's something I should work on. I think, perhaps, that the best riding I've done so far was at Bailey's last Starter, at Otter Creek Spring a few years ago. Why was it my best riding? Because despite the emotional kick in the chest of coming down the center line and x-halt-salute and spotting my estranged parents literally hiding in the bushes after I had made it clear that they were not welcome to watch me show anymore, I kept riding. And I rode my plan, and I rocked it. It was seriously one of the best dressage tests of my life.




#4 - A ride that impacted your life and #5 - Your first fall actually go hand-in-hand with me. Because the ride that hugely impacted my life was on a school horse named Dundee. He was a crabby, behind the leg with a bucking problem, sour-faced chestnut thoroughbred and I, of course, adored him. He's the horse who taught me to get mad and fight for what I want, and he's the horse who taught me to sit and laugh through a bucking spell. He's also the first horse I fell off of; I think (if I remember my chronology correctly) my first fall off of him (of many) was rolling over his shoulder after a jump into the snow. Of course, being a saint of an animal, he didn't actually step on me despite falling off right in front of him while he was cantering, and he was easily caught and I got back on. No fuss, no muss, and easy. He was a good boy, and I do think we really connected in ways he didn't with other riders.

Love you, D.


Tiny Ashley and Dundee


2 comments:

  1. Good on you for riding a great test despite how you felt and how cute were you on Dundee! Don't pressure yourself to write, just do the prompts you like if you don't want to do every day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe I WANT to write more, but I'm trying not to be an internet black cloud of crabbiness, too :) Looking at these old pictures of me as a little one are making me feel super old, too!

      Delete