Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Pouting

After a good weekend of riding (I'll get to that in a sec) I'm hardcore pouting because of Daylight Savings. Because instead of riding the bus in the dark and coming home for an hour of daylight (max) where I can technically almost squeeze in a ride.. the sun is coming up as I drive to the bus station and is basically set as I'm riding the bus home. Luckily I'm working from home tomorrow so I'll get rides in on both horses (so help me god) but it's time to panic about lights and come out of my shell enough to contact the local lady I know with an indoor to see if I can buy/bribe a way into her indoor one day a week.

In leu of riding, out nightly entertainment includes teaching the donkey to lead.
Arya apparently loves the donkey

My current thought is that I can swing riding Fridays (my work from home day), Saturdays and Sundays at home, and just need to get one ride in midweek. Of course, I am pretty sure the only night I can't trailer in to the indoor due to lessons is Wednesday, so I'll be deciding between Tuesdays and Thursdays for my mid-week ride. I also ordered a solar light, because as of the last snowfall and freeze, I think I need to kiss any hope of getting electric run to the arena this year goodbye. It won't be bad to do next year, but in the mean time... I'm trying out a sketchily cheap Solar light option from Amazon that may or may not work. Cross your fingers for me! I don't know if we'll be able to hang them high (by bracing taller boards against my existing arena fence uprights, since the ground is frozen) as I'm not sure they will stay up in the wind, but I am wondering if I can put them on my top board to light up the footing. Have any of you seen any unusual riding arena lights? Particularly anything that actually works?

Ride wise, both of the girls got ridden this weekend; Arya looked sound on Friday afternoon, so while I ran out of light, I gave her a brief lunge and got on her on Saturday. Bailey got ridden on Friday and I felt like I was really getting her inside hind at the canter. She is happy to be out and moving, and since I actually remembered my spurs, I felt like I was able to actually get some decent work out of her. She was much more limber than our previous ride and was quite springy and active feeling without being a total nutcase. I was very happy with that! Her winter brain over the past few years has been unmanageable, but so far, she seems to be holding it together relatively well.


Arya lunged out nicely despite the fact that it had snowed 3-4 wet inches overnight, and rode really well. We're still working on our back to basics approach - learning that leg doesn't always mean sideways, and while I was asking for more contact and for her to engage with me more, we also kept it simple with simple transitions of gait as her main work. She even cantered a little bit, which got silly for a second there (aka the shoulder went, the steering went, and there may have been some adorable bad bucking and/or porpoising (they feel the same to me) but she recovered well and when we cantered again, she was rhythmic and very lovely.

The arrival (finally) of Hubby's birthday present this weekend resulted in him casually dropping "Why don't you just buy yourself whatever you want for your birthday" which I take to mean "Stop talking about horse tack and just buy whatever will shut you up". And I'm wholeheartedly ok with that. I don't need wrapping paper and a surprise, the thrill of the shopping adventure is enough for me! While my birthday is still a month and a few days away, I've, of course, jumped right into shopping mode. Because honestly, when am I not in horse tack shopping mode?!

My shortlist of wants this year is pretty short; I'm working on selling a pair of tall boots and at least one pair of half chaps to help finance another pair of boots or chaps that actually fit, and with winter firmly here, I can save for that purchase and don't necessarily need to ask for a pair as a gift. This works twofold; it gives me more time to try on as many pairs of boots and half chaps as possible and lets me splurge/ask for some fun stuff instead. I've been eyeballing a quarter sheet (Back on Track, because of recent discussions on other blogs) for the girls, and have been considering getting another bridle for some time. I'm starting to be less in love with my BS of Sweden knock off bridle; I feel like it's kind of heavy on both of them:









Though I know that the Micklem isn't the most beautiful thing ever, either. Because Bailey goes so well in the Micklem, I'm not really looking for a new bridle for her. Idk if it actually looks semi-decent on her, but I mean... she and Arya, who for some reason, I keep envisioning in this mysterious new bridle, do wear the same size, so they can share, too. It doesn't help that the blogging community has kept Eponia's beautiful bridles on my radar for some time now... and they happen to make a couple of black and brown bridles. And I love my black and brown saddles, so I am trying to decide how I feel about black and brown bridles. Especially on my girls. I think that my line up could use a more traditional element, and honestly I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of another (real) Micklem when there are so many pretty bridles that cost less, and I feel like nothing I have does anything for Arya's face.

So, readers: tell me about your bridles and why they are awesome, please. Some of you have already published (very persuasive) reviews of pretty things (aka Eponia bridles) but I know there are so many fish in the sea!










17 comments:

  1. Teresa over at Journey with a Dancing Horse has solar lights on her arena I think, might be able to pick her brain a little :)

    I have a bridle obsession, haha. My current favorites are my PS knock off dressage bridle (for Ruby) and my beautiful and unique braided Otto Schumacher bridle for Cinna. But Eponia is definitely on my radar for the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely head over to her blog to see if I can gather some intel, thanks for the tip! Ruby does look lovely in her "BS" of Sweden (I think I'm really funny, sorry) and I'll have to go stalk pictures of the Otto now. I'm thinking a heavier dressage style noseband would really look nice on Arya's bigger nose - BB's is smaller in diameter (by one hole), but for some reason especially from the side, Arya's head seems a lot heavier, and seems to need something thicker. Or else I just love to shop :D

      Delete
    2. Hahaha "BS" 😂😂ðŸĪĢ that's amazing

      Delete
  2. Arena lights is definitely a must for me so I understand the pain! Hopefully you are able to figure something out that works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am damning myself for not making them more of a priority... definitely a mistake! Alas.

      Delete
  3. Both Eponia and Lund Saddlery are on my radar for new bridles. I want the snaffle Lund bridle for xc and jumping, since the Sedgwick leather should hold up to my abuse for that. I want the Eponia purely for compare and contrast to PS of Sweden and to just...ah...have another...um....pretty bridle? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lund stuff is super, super pretty but they're less on my radar since they aren't doing a ton in black as of yet, and for some reason I can't do fully brown bridles. I like them on other horses, weirdly enough - I'm probably a bit crazy :)

      Delete
  4. DST is not my friend either. Wandering around in the dark is not my favorite thing. Please share your findings on arena lights! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to test my light tonight! So far it turns on and charges and does all sorts of unexpected things (like actually work) but the remote isn't working. So I might not be able to hang them high, unless I just got a faulty one. It is quite bright, so I am feeling encouraged :)

      Delete
  5. I really like my Eponia bridle. And my Lund bridles, too. Both are super reasonably priced for the quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to order mine... I've never had a super nice bridle before! Just waiting to hear back from them about buckle colors. I used to rock a super tacky bridle with brass buckles and keepers and a brass clincher browband, so I'm a bit nervous about the bridles I like having brass buckles... don't want to make my turn out too overwhelming!

      Delete
  6. a couple winters ago my eventer partner in crime and i would haul out twice a week to nearby indoors since we didn't have an indoor at home, and even with lights in our arena the footing still froze to the point of being unrideable. we'd haul out for a lesson at one barn on saturday, then to some other indoor on a week day (there were a couple arenas to choose from and we based our choice on cost - they all have fees - and availability). and usually sunday we'd try to at least hack out around home. it was a hassle to make that all happen, but was totally worth it for keeping the horses going during the worst of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to think of it as "my horses will be so good at loading and trailering by this spring" and am heavily resisting pricing the cover-all type arenas because if I don't know how much they cost, maybe I don't have to give up the dream of having my own arena ;)

      Delete
  7. Daylight savings time sucks! Also, along with living in the same area we must have a very similar birthday :) Horze also has a black and brown (Carmel) bridle and I did like the other Horze bridle that I had. Their quality does vary though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy fun! I've been enjoying the thought of having a blogger person local - I like playing the game of "do I recognize the people or place in this post?" because I'm kind of a stalker. Whoops. Stalkering aside, if you ever want media, I have a very nice camera from my second "job" as a photographer, and don't mind driving :)

      Delete
  8. DST is hard! I get to work and leave work in the dark now. And bridles...I don't have anything nice yet, but I am absolutely sold on Eponia after seeing their stuff in person and reading friends success with it. Such an incredible deal for the quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thus, you also sell me on Eponia. I've never had "NICE" bridles before. It's intimidating to pay twice my usual budget on a bridle, but I am getting more and more sure it will be worth it!

      Delete