Monday, August 18, 2014

30. Your future with horses

My future with horses is just the same as my past, I guess. I can tell you with confidence that I won't be losing this bug any time soon, and I have big plans for the future and for Bailey's talent. Bailey was purchased with the idea that I want to do a T3D, and maybe even go to the AECs. And I think we will achieve those dreams, and if the dreams change, I think that's fine too.

I've learned to not expect definites in the horse world; too quickly a badly placed step or a weak spot in a tendon or ligament can dash your plans. I'm lucky, because despite the disappointments I've experienced, I am only driven to do better. Perhaps eventing is the sport of perfectionists, at least for me, because I feel like I had a failure with Foxie, and searched long and wide for my next horse. I learned about conformation, about temperament and looked at each horse I considered for that "look". I have planned my training to go slow with this horse, and to set a base that will allow us to skip up the levels with confidence when she is ready. Yes, I am scared that I am going to end up with another injured horse, but at the same time... I'm not ready to give this sport up.

One day, maybe.

But not today, not tomorrow. And maybe not ever.

So my future with horses?

There will be more of them. Foxie will continue to age with grace, and when it is her time, I sincerely hope I have the strength to know in my heart that she is ready to move on, and to help her do that without pain. I already want another Prince Halory baby- after dealing with the most amateur-friendly baby horse I have ever seen, I love how much of himself he stamps in his babies. I want a farm, I want my ponies in my back yard so I can tuck them in each night and walk out into the field on beautiful sunlit evenings to sit on their backs as they graze. I want to set up crazy things to jump, and to jump them, and to go on trail rides and enjoy life looking between pricked ears.

So, I guess, depending on if I can keep blogging, there will be many more stories to tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment