Friday, April 28, 2017

Coming Down to the Wire

Greetings from the land of half packed boxes!

The move is coming up quickly now; we close and move on Wednesday! Clearly, I am super motivated... to ride my horse. Pack? Not so much.



I'm trying to not loose my mind, despite taking on way too much and being sick at the same time this week. The mares started transitioning to their new/old feed, Purina Senior Active and I'm excited to have their feeding back under my control once they come home. I don't know if they will stay on Senior Active; I like it on paper, but it seems so moist and often has odd chunks of ... by product? Dust? God knows what? in it. They're easy enough to spot and sort out (they aren't small, and are usually a very different brown than the feed) but still kind of odd. I haven't noticed them in the Ultium I've been feeding Foxie, and Ultium is just so solid that it always tempts me. I've also sourced cheaper-than-smartpak prices for MSM pellets and started both horses on Chaste Berry powder.

After Foxie's weird issues last spring (was it stress? or something else?) I popped her on Smart Pituitary Senior for a month, and boom... horse shed out and began to gain weight. This spring she's been shedding, but her coat is still quite long and, because of the way it sticks out, looks dull. She also isn't blooming like I know she could be - this may be the barn grain still causing problems, but after finding a source of Chasteberry quite cheap on Amazon, I said, hey, what the heck. And then I read about it helping hormonal mares, and tossed Bailey on it as well. She's been such a hag this spring that I might as well try; I don't know from whence her crazy comes, but if I can magic it away with herbs, I am going to try.

Foxie's weird longer than normal coat is weird.

Bailey has been quite up lately; it got cold again (to the point of snow) and we've been doing dressage due to the rain, mud and her stupid long feet. The girls saw the farrier on Wednesday, and, of course, my life got busy and now I am scrambling to get time in around moving to take advantage of the XC course a few more times before we leave Boarding Land (probably) forever.

On the #horsescomehome front, we've dropped a not-small amount of money on 14' stall fronts, and have a weekend planned to re-do the barn. With closing coming so soon, we're buying a utility trailer this weekend for tractor transportation (and hay) and once we close, there will be lots of fun purchases to blog about! I'm struggling to get a hold of my fancy jump cups (I am weird and want the fancy pin-less Dapple Equine cups), but I will not give up hope!

I'm hoping to crowd source more opinions from ya'all...

What is your favorite equine first aid or health related book?

Happy weekend,
Ashley

2 comments:

  1. The chunks might be shreds of beet pulp that have clumped together - I've noticed that a few times with Active. It's worked miracles on our old guys - I hope it helps your girls, along with all the other supplement changes you've made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I liked the Senior Active when they were on it a year ago - the chunks are so weird and were so big in the last bag I bought I might email Purina about them. I'm hoping Foxie loses her weird long hair with all of these positive changes so I can stop worrying about her!

      Delete