Monday, April 24, 2017

Protection Animal Follow Up

After doing lots of googling on the subject of protection animals, I decided to try Facebook. Not only did I learn a lot about my facebook horse friends' horse keeping habits, I actually got some information on protection animals. My first choice of information, the TCCT List (which is a long standing yahoo group that is populated, now, by more than just Twin Cities area eventers), explodes on a regular basis with stupidity, and exploded the day I finally felt like posting the question, so that was out. 

They already love each other, but neither is particularly... sensible
#TBproblems


What did I get out of my facebook friends? 

1. That I probably shouldn't worry; they will be fine.
2. Depending on my local coyote population, they may cause problems, especially if it's a hard winter and they form a pack. However, most people who mentioned coyotes just mentioned that the horses got all excited and ran around a whole lot. 
3. I probably don't need to worry about bears, but mountain lions can and will attack horses and cause me some nasty vet bills. While I don't have a ton of info about mountain lions in my area, I am hoping they aren't prevalent. Cross your fingers for me.

What am I doing with this information? 

Well... I think I am going to get a donkey as a companion animal. The gal who had coyote problems also had a mountain lion attack; I think she was in a bad area for this sort of thing, and also... seems to be the type of person who just has bad luck. I hope I get off a little easier than she does in general. Her coyote problems were solved by the purchase of a Jenny standard donkey, and a donkey seems like it would kill two worries with one stone. This does cause some more minor problems, as we're only planning to build 3 stalls, but we could easily build a 10x10 or what have you opposite of the horses with leftovers from the barn re-do should J decide to bring Ginny over to live with us. 

So... Anyone know of a donkey for sale? 

No comments:

Post a Comment