Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Cold Hands

Yesterday I got kind of heavy, and talked about how the death of an upper level eventer reminds me of all of the insecurities and inconsistencies I feel about my riding in the context of my sport. Lately I have been both an insecure and inconsistent rider; I've had some bad experiences with Arya, and I haven't been riding much, so the general result is that I'm kind of an anxious sack of potatoes. Even if I don't know if I am going to be showing next year, I still need to keep myself and my horses in shape, because it does all of us worlds of good to do work. If I am going to have horses, I should do this thing right, right?

To the meat of the post, I would like to admit something silly for all the internet to read: Every time I hear that "Slow Hands" song, all I hear is "Cold Hands" which is honestly, much more applicable to my life right now. Cold hands are decidedly less sexy than "Slow Hands" wants to make hands out to be, but whatever.

I've always had poor circulation. I've always struggled to keep my hands warm, and sustained some frostbite damage doing weekend lessons outside year round in my middle and high school days. I also struggle to balance gloves/mittens that are warm enough with still being able to function. My favorite mittens for driving are utterly useless for anything other than standing around, or doing large motor tasks like driving, opening doors, etc. They're thickly knit, with fleece inside, and leather palms. They're not waterproof, and I have basically no dexterity.

My favorite riding gloves, for the longest time, have been the SSG Pro Show Winter gloves:



For riding, at least, they have a good mix of warmth and dexterity. I can still close my fingers on the reins (very important) and not totally freeze. They aren't warm enough for the depths of winter, but they work out famously around the freezing mark, and worked out well enough even when riding in the unheated indoor at the last boarding barn (though I was tacking in a heated barn). When the going got really cold at our previous boarding situation (unheated and uninsulated barn and indoor, with an outside walk in between) I would either double up on the cheap, knit gloves from places like Target, or use these (once I found them at a local tack shop): 

They are the Ovation Syntac Thinsulate Winter Glove; and they're pretty good. I have had some quality problems with them; the lining has come apart in the fingers and they don't wash up as well as I would have hoped, but they are, at least, quite warm. 

But then again, I wasn't doing chores at these boarding barns; while I can go inside to warm up, I really need a good pair or three of gloves. I have tried, though it was probably several years ago now, the Heritage Extreme and the SSG 10 Below gloves, and found them too bulky to do anything in. I plan to dig them out and give them another go with chores (since I don't have to do up bridle buckles, etc, when I'm doing chores) but I have a feeling I am going to continue to struggle with them. I also feel like I should have gone a size down with each of them, but we shall see if those are just old perceptions. 

Do you, my lovely readers, have favorite winter gloves? I need both work and riding gloves, so I am happy to hear about anything and everything; especially if they are waterproof! I'm planning to talk about some of my favorite cold weather products in another post, too - I do have some favorites, and will happily talk your ear off about dressing to ride outside in winter. I'll probably do a follow up post if/when I survive a winter on the northern tundra. Clearly my blood needs to thicken up, already, but I can't wait for my new Arctic Horse skirt to arrive... the Tongass is great, but I could use some insulation!


9 comments:

  1. I have raynauds syndrome so very cold hands too! I wore the ssg below 10 gloves a lot, but they are super bulky. I had this fantastic pair of leather riding mittens (the pinky was separate) that were the absolute beeknees, I can't remember the brand. I lost one of them :( I don't see a brand anywhere but they are very old. I keep hanging on to the old one just in case the other shows up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two pairs of mittens I've seen on the market right now (I have a spreadsheet going, because I'm obsessed with Thinsulate, getting good deals and not losing fingers this winter), one is leather by SSG and the others are more of a traditional mitten type fabric by Ovation. I've been heavily considering the mittens, so I think I might need to add one pair to my collection of winter finger wear. Maybe your pair were SSG? I have a pair of older ones that just won't quit, even though they're probably 10-12 years old. Can't argue with quality that lasts!

      Delete
  2. i have zillions of winter gloves of all varieties - fleece, leather, wool, whatever, but find that eventually they all get soaked somehow or another through the course of a day. plus, ya know, it can be a real challenge to operate snaps and hooks and hoses and whatever with bulky gloves (tho the hobo-esque half mitten, half fingerless glove types are good for this -- that is, until they get soaked too).

    so i actually really like layering gloves - my all time favorites are these cashmere fingerless gloves to go underneath whatever top layer i want. they're super thin (i wear them under riding gloves too), and super warm, and can keep the hands protected even if i have to change outer gloves for whatever reason. plus should they end up getting wet, they dry quickly too.

    https://www.amazon.com/Volyer-Cashmere-Fingerless-Christmas-Girlfriend/dp/B0154ETK98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509472127&sr=8-1&keywords=volyer+gloves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say exactly the same thing. I grew up doing chores on the farm (for about 15 years of my life) and the only thing that ever really worked was to wear those cheap knit, stretchy gloves with a nice warm pair of mittens over them. I could do most of the work with the mittens on and then pull them off quickly for fine motor skill type things. I did that for years and never found anything better.

      Delete
    2. I think you two have pursuaded me. I've got a pair of ceramic gloves in my cart, and a pair of riding mittens! Hopefully the two will work together nicely.

      Delete
  3. I have a pair of Mountain Horse waterproof gortex gloves that are SO WARM but are not for riding, despite the advertisements. Unless you don't need your hands to ride, which would be impressive, but unfortunately is not quite my style. They are great for barn chores, though. I should try to find them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gortex is a wonderful thing! And I feel like glove makers haven't quite hit on the right combination of warmth and dexterity yet. Maybe the material doesn't yet exist, but I'm definitely not capable of hands-free riding, either!

      Delete
  4. I couple my skiing gloves for riding gloves a lot of the time. I wear an insulated leather work glove with a thinner liner glove a lot of the time these days. Layers for if I get too hot and they keep me warmer when it's bitter cold. Leather work gloves also take a lot of beating which is nice because I don't have to worry about them falling apart with anything I put them through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be looking into leather work gloves. I had a lovely pair gifted to me that never fit, and I got put off by that. Time to go looking again! I'm surprised that the local tack stores don't carry more gloves than they do. It's been hard to be able to try them on locally, and being able to try them on makes a huge difference.

      Delete