Thursday, November 17, 2016

Catching Up

Once again, time is getting away from me. Since I last posted, the saddle has arrived(!!!) and I've ridden in it twice now. I haven't been getting the ride time I've been wanting since the hubs has been travelling for work this week, but it's been productive enough. In addition to needing some flocking work (which hopefully I will get accomplished in trade after shooting some really lovely photos for a local saddle fitter on Monday) the saddle also needed some MAJOR reconditioning.

Here's the saddle out of the box after some cleaning with an Effax spray I picked up this summer after having some major mold problems in the humidity. This saddle had some traces of mold, and the seller did mention already cleaning some off, so I went to work. It was very marked up under the leathers and was extremely dry and stiff.


At this point, I was very "FOR SCIENCE" and decided to try Effax Leather Soft on one flap, and Leather Therapy conditioner on the other. As much as I like the idea of the Leather therapy... the Effax is a lot more satisfying for my needs. The saddle legitimately drinks the Effax up and it has consumed the half bottle I had remaining. The saddle did darken, to the point where the flaps are very dark with black knee pads (even darker than they are below), but the skirt areas have stayed a lovely red brown. 


As I said above, I traded some photography for flocking from a local fitter starting out, and I'm hoping she is able to pull some flocking out of the wither, plump up the rear panel and generally smooth out the panels, which kind of have the consistency of cottage cheese. I think with some flocking work, the saddle will be just about perfect. I'm already in love with it, and it's not even optimally balanced yet:


It's a touch narrower than my jump saddle, but I am hoping that resolves with flocking. Both mares moved nicely in it and while there was some bucking from both girls my first ride, I am attributing it to the cold wind blowing up their booties vs the saddle. Am I biased? Probably. But I'm obsessed. And not sorry.

While rides have been light this week, the saddle is getting coated in oil in an attempt to soften up the stiff flaps and ensure that the panels are supple enough to withstand flocking and fitting tools without getting damaged. I'm going to see what I can dig up shim wise to see if I can even it out a bit more while continuing to try it out. I'm also planning to stop by the tack shop and take out their Micklem bridle they have for trials. While I probably won't buy a real one when a friend is selling a much more reasonably priced knock off, it will be good to find out if I need one, or if I can pull off sticking a snaffle back on one of my regular bridles for shows. I've had lots of time for conjecture this week... so I am hoping I have more time for riding next!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that cleaned up amazingly well! Glad that it's working out so well for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! It's still a work in progress but I have faith it's going to come back. Now I just have to hope that the saddle fitter can amend some of the issues with the flocking. I've had three fitters see my jump saddle (also a Vision) and I've gotten three different answers on fit... so I'm just trying to make sure I'm happy, if anything!

      Delete
  2. It looks great! Especially after the clean up ;)

    ReplyDelete