Monday, November 28, 2016

Review: OneK Racer Skull Cap (with bonus awkward selfies!)

I recieved the OneK Racer skull cap from my husband as a very early birthday present (we bought it on the Helmet Awareness sale in September) to replace a very aged and dropped-several-times Tipperary Titan. I tried on a OneK Defender locally, and took a chance on the Racer, because I prefer skull caps and (call me silly) I have some badass skull cap covers from Sipps Silks that I'd like to keep using.


I take awesome helmet selfies. Just wait.
When the OneK arrived, I was a little scared... It was a lot higher profile than my Tipperary Titan, and after riding in super loose older helmets all summer, the OneK felt very snug despite the same size in the Defender being very comfortable. 


The OneK was definitely wider, and sat higher on my head.


It has a lot more mass, but still overs great coverage down the back of my head, which is a piece that I really liked about the Tipperary. 


After a few months of wear, I really like my OneK. It fits snugly, and feels very safe. While it's bulkier, and the weight took some getting used to, I don't find it overly hot (though the Titan wasn't exactly as breezy as it's sibling, the Sportage, anyways). My Sipps covers fit it, though the texture of the helmet gives them kind of an odd appearance (the bubbling you see above). The cover hasn't moved an inch, and while I feel like the peak is a bit small for the width of the helmet, I'm pretty sure that's a me thing, having been used to a slimmer, more oval helmet. I would say that it does fit a bit more round than the Defender, but I don't have any slippage, or feel like there are pressure points on my head. I've toyed with the idea of buying a large liner, but so far, I haven't actually been motivated to do it. I do still have to rock a low pony with this helmet, but I really like the coverage and comfort it is providing thus far. 

All in all, I'm really happy with this helmet; it was cheaper than a Charles Owen, and while I'll definitely be trying on some CO Skull Caps when I come across them (just in case) I feel like I made a great choice with the OneK. I am hoping to be able to better test out the breath-ability of this helmet and will update if I discover anything life changing. It's high quality, and is not only a great safe helmet, it also feels safe, which goes a long way for me, since I often have panic moments when Bailey decides go  temporarily insane and worry about hurting myself. Maybe not a great thing to say, but I really like a snug, safe feeling helmet. 



No comments:

Post a Comment