Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2016 In Review

I'm reeally behind on blog related stuff as we come into the new year, as I'm aching for media that I don't have. Hopefully you'll forgive this wall of text if it's broken up by photos, even if they aren't always relevant :D

January - March:

I didn't actually blog for those months. In that time:

- Bailey was a spooky shit in the indoor at our (now old) barn, but slowly got better.
- We did a ton of indoor arena "XC"
- We saw Saddle Fitter #1, who told me my Vision was going to maim my horse.
- We bought Atlas, who is still the second love of my life. He's such a good boy.
- I married the first love of my life in an elopement ceremony in Puerto Rico. My two best friends attended and we ate a delicious meal after. I also went to a Krispy Kreme in my wedding dress, and it was great.

Favorite Wedding Photo FTW


April:

I got back into blogging, and the horses moved to their new home. I cleaned my tack, and talked about it, and other things, because I was awkwardly getting back to blogging and trying to generate content. I decided to treat Bailey like a grown up now, jokingly put my horses up for sale and spent a lot of time playing on the new barn's XC course.

So grown up! Also so much less fat than she was.


May:

In May, I compared barns in an attempt to deal with my anxiety at the new barn's hay feeding practices. I had a lot of anxiety this month about various things, despite BB being a very good girl for the most part. Bailey broke the first of two halters so far this year, and jumped some sticks.

June:

Foxie did some little jumps out on the XC field, and a ditch. She was excited. Bailey and I tackled the BN picnic table I had been staring at on XC, and did some fitness. Between those weeks, I got busy and Foxie dropped a decent amount of weight, and was re-christened "Skeletor". I was anxious about her weight, but change moves at a glacial pace so she took her time regaining said weight.

Skeletor has now returned to her regularly scheduled booty.

July:

Barn friend A rode Bailey and managed to re-awaken the saddle itch just in time for me to buy my Classic Saddlery dressage saddle used. It was a monkey on my back for most of this month, and Bailey did a lot of dressage as a result, and then I bought it. I promptly started to panic because I also had the Dom Schramm clinic in a week, and did a lot of jumping. It got hot, the horses got fans and Bailey stopped turning right. While I didn't post this, Skeletor continued to be Skeletor.

Not Dying in the Dom Schramm Clinic!


August:

Foxie got put on Amplify (fucking finally) and I tried her on Smart Pituitary. It arrived right as she started to shed out her long coat, and said long hair was gone by the end of the month. She and Bailey became roommates in a separate pasture and slowly fell in love with eachother. Bailey went in the Dom clinic and no one died, but I discovered I had a lot of fence height related anxiety, and can't ride when people are watching me. I bought a BS of Sweden bridle off of ETT and Bails and I did some XC. Skeletor came back under saddle and proved she could still horse better than her sister even with no muscle. I also had(have) no muscle and wondered a lot about breeches.

Not our BS of Sweden, but still cute. 


September:

Bailey did some dressage before she had an allergic reaction which swelled up her face for a week. I started contemplating a new helmet, and the mares saw Saddle Fitter #2, who declared the Vision an "immaculate" fit for the B and planted the seed of unrest for me with the Classic. Bailey put in a few kickass jump schools post saddle fitter

October:

Both mares continued to get ridden pretty regularly, and Bailey jumped the crap out of a 3'3 oxer that was scaring the snot out of me. Bailey also had a swollen eye and was shockingly well behaved for our first ride after her time off for said eye, despite small children frolicking. We did some janky jumping in prep for a show we didn't end up going to,  I broke my tall boots this month (and haven't yet had them repaired two months later. Whoops). Foxie's weight started to be back where it should be, Bailey broke another halter and I talked about clipping! We went solo XC schooling on a cold windy day instead of going to a show, and Bailey was a star. We apparently did scare the barn owner with our lonesomeness, because she came out to check if I was still alive (I was). It was great, and Bailey really felt like the new horse I wanted her to be.

November:

I started posting recipes, bought another dressage saddle, and took selfies with my horses. The Vision Dressage arrived, and I began restoring it's poor, dry self while also loving the way it rode. Bailey tried out a Micklem bridle, which was great (though Brown is NOT her color) and I finally caved and bought a Dark Jewel browband. I also reviewed my OneK Racer with plenty of silly selfies.

Love you, Vision. 


December:

Winter truly arrived. I did a google maps tour of our barn, because flatwork recaps are boring as hell. It got really cold, and I did my usual blanket anxiety posts, but we've survived with all body fat in tact so far. Bailey wore a lot of Christmas cheer for my birthday, was super fancy on a lunge line and was (is) being ridden sometimes.


 I've gotten really lazy lately, so leaving the house and going to be cold seems like an increasingly bad idea. Bailey did jump recently, do some dressage, and will probably jump again tonight. She was pretty psyched about it last time, sooo:



Happy new year?





1 comment: