Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Canter Along, Pond: Rides 2 & 3

While I went into rides 2 and 3 with the best intentions, I can tell that the atmosphere is working against us; more people are riding as it gets back into relatively sane temperatures here, and that means more traffic. Rides 2 and 3 were much more tense and brought out more behavior issues than i would have liked.

Ride 2 went on during a lesson, and the teacher was acting like I was causing problems in her lesson (I wasn't - the other horses were not feeding off Bailey, and it's not my problem that your students aren't cantering yet. No one seems to care but you that I'm cantering, lady). Bailey was a bit hot and forward, and while she wasn't naughty, she wasn't a straightforward ride, either. She was better through her shoulders and her canter felt very powerful (yay!) but she was distractable. The hot chilli pepper pony came out once we got a nice transition - she just wanted to GO GO GO and when riding in the small arena, the walls come up quickly no matter what. When you're roaring along, it gets more out of control with every step. Because we were getting the stink eye, and she was being quite good, we quit while we were ahead and I combed out the magical tail:

Tail game like #WOAH

Ride 3 was also started during a lesson, and luckily I didn't start with a lot of cantering like I normally did. I finally got my fake Micklem in trade, and while it may not yet be adjusted perfectly, Bailey seemed to be quite good in it, just like she was in the rental from the tack shop. The trot work was good, if forward. Bailey was a bit stiff and up, like I probably should have lunged her before. Once I had the arena to myself, we started canter work. It was a vague disaster - she wanted to put her head down and buck, and once I got it up, she was almost unmanageably forward, skittering in an almost bolt with her back end while still trying to haul me forward. It crossed my mind that I was in a really dangerous situation (between the bucking and bolting she was also tossing her head and getting light in front when I half halted) but I felt like stopping and getting off would let her win. So I let her canter, and canter, and canter... until she finally settled enough to feel ride-able.

At least she's cute?

So... operation improve the canter is going a bit sideways currently. It's hard to improve a canter when you can hardly control it... so we'll be regressing to work on that. I think the micklem, once I've got it fit a bit better, will help. I take it as a good thing that she was taking a firm contact in her trot work (and we can probably count hauling on my hands in the canter as a good sign too...) and while I certainly am not happy with her behavior in the canter, it's not the Micklem's fault. 

2 comments:

  1. That bridle looks great on her tho!! Also I feel like the spring sillies are coming early this year haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It very well could be the spring sillies... B's never been much of a bucker, but I'll take it over rearing! And thank you :) she looked so terrible in the brown one, it's good to hear it was just the color, after all!

      Delete