Monday, July 28, 2014

12. Favorite horse color

Like most horse people, I tried to be opinionated about color... but I never succeeded. Like many riders, I love a beautiful dapple grey, but hate that they turn white as they age. Black horses, another obsession of many, fade in the sun. I hated how plain Foxie was when I first got her, but I've grown to appreciate what is under the hair coat; the beautiful soft eye, the delicate features...


I also own two things that I didn't think I was into - a redhead with WHITE. Ew. I hate white legs, they are never clean. For showing, I love horses without white markings, because they are so easy to groom. Foxie looked resplendent in the show ring, usually after spending the night laying in her own poo. Curry out the chunks and go - no complaints!

SO...

I have to say my favorite color of horse is BAY, closely followed by Chestnut, especially if there is flaxen involved.  Bays come in so many shades - black bay, brown bay, red bay, golden bay... 

Fox also went from a lovely slightly golden bay in summer to a lovely dark brown bay in winter, and is super fun to clip because of it. 

Besides, who can resist that mare?!

No comments:

Post a Comment